G-Sync/V-Sync On, won't hit FPS I set

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
drmcninja

G-Sync/V-Sync On, won't hit FPS I set

Post by drmcninja » 16 Mar 2021, 22:52

Refresh rate: 360Hz, G-Sync and V-Sync both On in Nvidia Control Panel. In-game FPS limit set to 358fps.

But instead of staying at 358, it's stuck at 326. Like, it's actually being limited to 326, it doesn't just happen to hit that framerate.

Works fine with 298-299fps limiter @ 300Hz.

Any ideas what's up?

drmcninja

Re: G-Sync/V-Sync On, won't hit FPS I set

Post by drmcninja » 16 Mar 2021, 23:14

I think I may have fixed it. I switched the Low Latency setting in Nvidia Control Panel from "Ultra" to "Low" and it worked as it should (hitting the frame cap I set).

For some reason, on Ultra, it can't go over 326fps/Hz. Weird.

TTT

Post by TTT » 17 Mar 2021, 15:37

I'm guessing the game you are talking about has Nvidia Reflex?

If you set Gsync+Vsync with Nvidia Reflex, it will auto cap your refresh to stop you hitting your max refresh and getting Vsync lag, if you want to set your own fps limit closer to the max refresh of your monitor then you need to turn Vsync off.

Nvidia Reflex takes priority over Low Latency mode as well so that isn't doing anything.

drmcninja

Post by drmcninja » 18 Mar 2021, 07:43

No, it was Overwatch. I saw in some other posts that G-Sync On + V-Sync On + Low Latency on Ultra means it auto-caps your FPS a little bit below refresh (so 326 sounds about right for 360Hz). Leaving Low Latency on 'On' avoids that.

Hopefully when Overwatch gets Nvidia Reflex in the next patch it circumvents that altogether and doesn't result in the same problem.

TTT

Post by TTT » 19 Mar 2021, 13:47

drmcninja wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 07:43
No, it was Overwatch. I saw in some other posts that G-Sync On + V-Sync On + Low Latency on Ultra means it auto-caps your FPS a little bit below refresh (so 326 sounds about right for 360Hz). Leaving Low Latency on 'On' avoids that.

Hopefully when Overwatch gets Nvidia Reflex in the next patch it circumvents that altogether and doesn't result in the same problem.
Oh yea sorry I missed where you said you had set it to Ultra, it does the same thing.

Overwatch does have Nvidia Reflex now doesn't it?

Like I mentioned in the other post though, if you want to run Gsync and do your own cap you can't run with Vsync on.

drmcninja

Post by drmcninja » 20 Mar 2021, 21:41

Why not? I set both G-Sync and V-Sync to On and changed Low Latency to 'On' instead of Ultra, shouldn't that work?

TTT

Post by TTT » 05 Apr 2021, 13:49

drmcninja wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 21:41
Why not? I set both G-Sync and V-Sync to On and changed Low Latency to 'On' instead of Ultra, shouldn't that work?
No low latency mode is doing absolutely nothing with Reflex on, Reflex takes priority.

They both do the same thing though, if you had Reflex off LLM Ultra will cap your fps under your refresh automatically.

If you have Reflex on with Gsync and Vsync it will cap your fps under your refresh automatically.

Just turn turn Vsync off.