dell s2721dgf screen tearing with g sync help

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
The Mike

dell s2721dgf screen tearing with g sync help

Post by The Mike » 18 Jun 2021, 04:05

I have had this monitor for like 4 months, and recently I noticed big changes with it.

I play mainly Smite, a little CSGO and Guild Wars 2, and starting to notice weird screen tearing issues.

in csgo I get screen tearing when theres different types of colors that meet each other, and in Doom 2016 theres insane amount of ghosting.

In Smite theres also insane ghosting which makes my head really dizzy and my eyes hurt.

I think it came after a Windows update or a graphic update. I tried reinstall windows with no luck, tried to remove the newest updates, no luck.

I found out that if I turn v sync on in Smite, then I have no issues, but then I guess g sync is not on?

I also have insane amount of screen tearing browsing in Chrome and other programs as well, and it is really annoying.

Has my monitor just suddently become faulty, or is there something else behind it?

Ive tried all the things people say, g sync on, v sync on, framerate cap, etc etc.

But no luck.

I have another machine where I tried to use my monitor. Could only try it with DP and no g sync, as it has a 970.

My gfx card is a 2070s.

What could the problem be? Please im out of options here.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: dell s2721dgf screen tearing with g sync help

Post by RealNC » 18 Jun 2021, 05:34

The Mike wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:05
I play mainly Smite, a little CSGO and Guild Wars 2, and starting to notice weird screen tearing issues.
Make sure vsync is ON (you can force it in the nvidia control panel if you have in-game vsync disabled.) Obviously make sure you cap your FPS to at least 3FPS below the display refresh rate so you won't get vsync lag.
I found out that if I turn v sync on in Smite, then I have no issues, but then I guess g sync is not on?
Please read the G-SYNC 101 articles. There's 15 articles total, here's the link to the first one:

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... -settings/

It provides all the info you need and why vsync is still important with g-sync. And no, there's no vsync lag when using g-sync when you cap your FPS correctly.
and in Doom 2016 theres insane amount of ghosting.
Many games have camera motion blur enabled by default. Doom 4 is one of them. So make sure you're not confusing the game's motion blur effect with ghosting. For high FPS games on high Hz displays you usually don't want camera motion blur anyway, so can disable it in the game's settings. It's only useful once you start approaching 60FPS in order to hide the "framiness" of 60FPS.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.