Here's why G-SYNC monitors flicker

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
DeusGladiorum

Re: Here's why G-SYNC monitors flicker

Post by DeusGladiorum » 31 Aug 2021, 11:19

I'm even more from the future, and I'm wondering if there's any panel technology that doesn't have this happen? Even trying to research panel... bleed times I guess, I can't really find anything. I'm currently on an Acer Predator Z271T, which has a VA panel I believe, and there's definitely flickering below 30fps. While that's the least of my issues with my monitor, I'd still like to check if there's any monitor technology that somehow mitigates it?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Sep 2021, 15:26

SInce this is a necro-bumped thread from year 2014, I have new info to add in 2021:

G-SYNC monitor flicker is caused by multiple causes:

- Pixel fade (pixel charge bleed)
- Slow inversion artifacts
- The ratio of LCD GtG to frametime (for flicker during moving objects)
- Gamma differences at different frametimes (may be related to pixel fade), such as those seen on LG OLEDs
- Some panels are more prone (e.g. TN) than IPS.

DIY Solution for VRR Flicker on 240Hz+ LCDs
Fixing flicker is majorly helped by raising VRR ranges, e.g. 70Hz-240Hz instead of 48Hz. Use ToastyX to edit your VRR range much higher, so your don't have low-Hz flicker. LFC is actually much more harmless when the max Hz is 240Hz or higher, since at 240Hz+ the halftime of a repeat refresh (during LFC) is only a 2ms stutter. At 480Hz it will be only a mere 1ms stutter. So VRR ranges for 480Hz may be best at 100Hz-480Hz, and use LFC for 99Hz and lower, for the purpose of fixing G-SYNC flicker on LCDs.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

GammaLyrae

Post by GammaLyrae » 13 Sep 2021, 01:45

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 15:26
SInce this is a necro-bumped thread from year 2014, I have new info to add in 2021:

G-SYNC monitor flicker is caused by multiple causes:

- Pixel fade (pixel charge bleed)
- Slow inversion artifacts
- The ratio of LCD GtG to frametime (for flicker during moving objects)
- Gamma differences at different frametimes (may be related to pixel fade), such as those seen on LG OLEDs
- Some panels are more prone (e.g. TN) than IPS.

DIY Solution for VRR Flicker on 240Hz+ LCDs
Fixing flicker is majorly helped by raising VRR ranges, e.g. 70Hz-240Hz instead of 48Hz. Use ToastyX to edit your VRR range much higher, so your don't have low-Hz flicker. LFC is actually much more harmless when the max Hz is 240Hz or higher, since at 240Hz+ the halftime of a repeat refresh (during LFC) is only a 2ms stutter. At 480Hz it will be only a mere 1ms stutter. So VRR ranges for 480Hz may be best at 100Hz-480Hz, and use LFC for 99Hz and lower, for the purpose of fixing G-SYNC flicker on LCDs.
Interesting

Lots of reports on the Samsung G7 released last year indicate that you can turn VRR control "ON" (a setting available in 1009.x or later versions of the firmware) to eliminate the VRR flicker that was widely complained about (specifically, the gamma getting crazy and introducing visible flicker in darker areas of the screen, not an actual flicker of the backlight), but people then noted that VRR wasn't as "smooth". I wonder if this setting is changing the freesync range internally to reduce flicker, in exchange for a less smooth VRR experience

HadtoRegister

Post by HadtoRegister » 30 Nov 2021, 08:35

Can confirm on oled LG C1 and 3080 rtx - it still flickers with g-sync in pure fullscreen or windowed mode on 117fps or 120fps (or 120Hz).