G-Sync/Freesync false advertising. Does not eliminate stuttering.

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Jetsetter84

G-Sync/Freesync false advertising. Does not eliminate stuttering.

Post by Jetsetter84 » 30 Nov 2021, 05:50

VRR does not eliminate stutters at all. They advertise as if you buy the monitor/GPU and all stutters will be solved. Disgusting ethics at play. They should simply say "matches the refresh rate of the monitor to the frame rate of the content, increasing the smoothness of animation and allowing the frame rate to vary during gameplay". That's all. There should be no mention of eliminating stutters anywhere as it simply does not, at all. The only games which do not stutter with VRR are games which do not stutter without it.

I'll let you in on a secret... If you have a display or GPU you want to return, for any reason, you can return any GPU, monitor or TV advertising this way simply by stating that it did not eliminate stutters. They have to take it back as they are claiming that their product will do something it can not. I have returned several displays and GPU's as I decided I wanted a different monitor/GPU. May as well cause them some losses for lying to the consumer, there's supposed to be laws against this kind of practice :)

I have been gaming on pc since 2013, where I started with a measly ati radeon hd4800. I have gone through 7 computers and now have a 10700k/3080 system and stutters have never improved. G-Sync/Freesync does not eliminate stutters and GPU/Monitor manufacturers should be held accountable for this nonsense. Pains me to say it, but I found the only way to eliminate stutters is, if possible, play the same game on console. Case in point but can be seen in many other titles... A Plagues Tale : Innocence. Stutters everytime a cut scene starts or stops and you take control again, or when dialog is played, or loading assets, or sometimes for no apparent reason. On PlayStation? Not a stutter to be found from start to finish.

Games on PC may look nicer, have higher frame rates and on the somewhat rare occasion a game runs flawlessly, PC certainly does offer an amazing experience, yet pretty much any game infamous for stutters on PC runs fine without stutter on console. I'd take a smooth experience over a stutter fest any day of the week, so for the games I like which stutter on PC yet are available on console, I also own a PS5 which replaced my PS4 Pro. The streamlined design and the way a console accesses assets efficiently can not be done on PC without at least some talent in programming, hence the poor PC stutter fests coming out left, right and centre as the game tries to stream data the way it would on console. Unless direct storage does what it is supposed to do, a PC, no matter how powerful it is, will stutter where a console does not in said instance and no VRR monitor or GPU can fix that. Rant over, please, discuss... :)

jorimt

Re: G-Sync/Freesync false advertising. Does not eliminate stuttering.

Post by jorimt » 30 Nov 2021, 09:58

Jetsetter84 wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 05:50
VRR does not eliminate stutters at all. They advertise as if you buy the monitor/GPU and all stutters will be solved. Disgusting ethics at play. They should simply say "matches the refresh rate of the monitor to the frame rate of the content, increasing the smoothness of animation and allowing the frame rate to vary during gameplay". That's all. There should be no mention of eliminating stutters anywhere as it simply does not, at all. The only games which do not stutter with VRR are games which do not stutter without it.
It has never once been claimed by Nvidia or AMD (to my knowledge at least) that VRR fixes all system-induced stutter, only that it fixes V-SYNC-induced stutter, which it does.

VRR does not create frames, it syncs them. As such, whenever a frame takes longer than a single refresh cycle to render, the previous frame is displayed until the next is ready. So all VRR can do in this situation is continually sync this previous frame until the next appears.

Stutter is due to frames repeating, skipping, and/or dropping. The causes are numerous. VRR addresses one.
Jetsetter84 wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 05:50
The streamlined design and the way a console accesses assets efficiently can not be done on PC without at least some talent in programming, hence the poor PC stutter fests coming out left, right and centre as the game tries to stream data the way it would on console. Unless direct storage does what it is supposed to do, a PC, no matter how powerful it is, will stutter where a console does not in said instance and no VRR monitor or GPU can fix that.
It is true that due to their closed-platform architecture, consoles have typically avoided shader compilation-related stutter, whereas PCs have not. That said, many modern PC games do now offer shader pre-loading to avoid this (but not enough games in my estimation; they should all offer it).

As for PS5 specifically, it is also true it is able to use SSD speeds to their full potential to reduce asset load-related stutter, whereas PCs (until DirectStorage arrives) are still capped at legacy I/O transfer rates.

That said, PS5 SSD performance is still up to the dev to optimize; SSDs have faster transfer rates, but you can still oversaturate and have the same problem as you would with an HDD. See Ratchet & Clank portal transitions.

As for games having less stutter on console than they do on PC, this is typically true (especially nowadays), however, but for a handful of first (and some third) party titles on certain systems, most console games are still far from stutter-free.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

gsyncnotrun

Post by gsyncnotrun » 03 Jan 2022, 14:24

Jetsetter84 you are 100% right
I bought a new monitor in order to be able to play games that my card can't handle at 60fps and anything less than 60fps stutters like my old 60hz monitor. Only goes well in the pendulum demo.
The fact is that I see videos on youtube where they test and run between 40 and 60 fps games like red dead redemption 2, the new assassins ... and they look more fluid than me.
A console shooting 30 fps runs smoother than my computer at 59 fps. If you put the pc at 30fps it is totally unplayable, at least for me.

Greetings.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Jan 2022, 02:14

gsyncnotrun wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 14:24
Jetsetter84 you are 100% right
I bought a new monitor in order to be able to play games that my card can't handle at 60fps and anything less than 60fps stutters like my old 60hz monitor. Only goes well in the pendulum demo.
The fact is that I see videos on youtube where they test and run between 40 and 60 fps games like red dead redemption 2, the new assassins ... and they look more fluid than me.
A console shooting 30 fps runs smoother than my computer at 59 fps. If you put the pc at 30fps it is totally unplayable, at least for me.

Greetings.
Make sure your VRR range is at least 2.5x between minimum Hz and maximum Hz.

That means 60Hz-75Hz VRR monitors are not as useful as 144+ Hz VRR monitors.

The stutter-reduction benefit is much bigger for much wider VRR ranges. Wide VRR ranges has much better low-framerate stutter-reduction performance. 33fps looks better on a 144Hz VRR monitor than 33fps on a 75Hz VRR monitor, because LFC is working properly.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!