The Gsync Functionality Database

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
whitespider

The Gsync Functionality Database

Post by whitespider » 17 Jun 2014, 07:29

I don't actually own a gsync monitor yet, so I am going to have to rely on the communities contributions regarding gsync support until I do.
List the game title, and then assign grade to the game. From the selection below.

Exceptional
This is when a game runs flawlessly with gsync with almost no game related stutter. The experience is dramatically smoother with gsync enabled.
Good
This is when a game is definately improved with gsync. However streaming/Loading stutters can still get in the way. The experience is quite a bit smoother with gsync enabled.
Problematic
This is when a game has significant stutters and microstutter quite often.The game experience is moderately smoother with gsync enabled.
Failure
This is when the game flatout runs like garbage with gsync enabled. And the game runs significantly smoother without gsync enabled.

------
Example of how the list should look:
Farcry 3 - Exceptional
Batman Arkham Origins - Exceptional
Max Payne 3 - Good
------

Add your games and grade via a separate post, and i'll edit this post to reflect them. Results may be subjective, so if there are two people that give different grades, I will include both grades next to the game with a number beside them.

For example:

Farcry 3 - Exceptional x 5 Problematic x 2
Last edited by whitespider on 17 Jun 2014, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.

Trip

Re: The Gsync Functionality Database

Post by Trip » 17 Jun 2014, 07:43

Is there actually a game which will not run well with gsync? I mean any game that will even run vsync should also be able to run gsync. For the computer rendering to a gsync display is nothing different from rendering to a normal monitor without vsync and a framecap. Sure the 144hz cap might cause trouble but that is an entirely different problem. If microstuttering is still present with gsync it should also be present in any other mode so gsync would not contribute to it.
Maybe vsync might smooth it out since it might stay at slower rendering times for a longer period of time but then again this is not gsync its fault either and can easily be fixed by using lower screen refresh rates or a lower frame cap in the engine.

whitespider

Post by whitespider » 17 Jun 2014, 07:51

Games with a lot of engine related stuttering can actually seem 'more stuttery' with gsync enabled, because it's very smooth in between the stutters, showing more of a contrast.

Other games, get mixed reports. Some people and review sites say things like skyrim run microstutter free with gsync enabled, whereas others say that engine related stutter still exists. This thread is about what gsync solves. Not everyone can tell from using a standard monitor if a particular game engine will be significantly smoothed out by gsync. For me, when I tested it out - I noticed that many games that ran at a locked 60hz/60fps on a normal screen with vsync still felt smoother in general on the gsync monitor because of the variance of the syncing at higher framerates (for example a vairable 60-144 looks different to a locked vsync 60). Not only that, but gsync does seem to solve many engine related microstutters in the way that it times frames.

Trip

Post by Trip » 17 Jun 2014, 08:08

whitespider wrote:Games with a lot of engine related stuttering can actually seem 'more stuttery' with gsync enabled, because it's very smooth in between the stutters, showing more of a contrast.
Yeah but too fault gsync for this like you said with the failure rating is quite mean. I mean good headphones can actually let you listen to a song in a different way and might show mistakes previously unheard by many people. To blame the headphones for this phenomenom seems a strange thing to do in my opinion.
I could understand it if a game would crash. Or if the rendering times actually take a hit when enabling it compared to no vsync at all with a framecap but I have not heard of that yet.

omgBlur

Post by omgBlur » 17 Jun 2014, 11:43

Trip wrote:Is there actually a game which will not run well with gsync? I mean any game that will even run vsync should also be able to run gsync.
It's hard to determine this now as the only G-Sync monitors on market are the VG248QE with the DIY kit in them. On other sites I have seen people post about certain games and I like to read about it as I'm curious about G-Sync and it's reliability as I will be getting a PG278Q when it comes out.

Just recently someone on reddit made a post about Wolfenstein not working, but a day later found a solution by reinstalling the game.

Others were told to turn V-Sync off in game and enable it via the Geforce control Panel. It's too obscure at the moment to develop this list as drivers may change to further improve on this as well. I'd say towards the end of 2014/ beginning of 2015 we'll have a much clearer analysis of this.

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 17 Jun 2014, 11:48

I'll formulate my reply when I've put more thought into it.

Also, nah every game runs with g-sync, definitely. And if there's problems, then it was summed up by whitespider perfectly.

Trip

Post by Trip » 17 Jun 2014, 13:18

omgBlur wrote:Just recently someone on reddit made a post about Wolfenstein not working, but a day later found a solution by reinstalling the game.
That could indeed be a problematic game I have played RAGE which is based on the same engine. And it is was disabling vsync all the time the cause was that it had an application profile already loaded from the nvidia drivers that stated to force it off. MIght be the same issue for wolfenstein since it is the same engine but dunno for sure.

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 17 Jun 2014, 13:28

Trip wrote:
omgBlur wrote:Just recently someone on reddit made a post about Wolfenstein not working, but a day later found a solution by reinstalling the game.
That could indeed be a problematic game I have played RAGE which is based on the same engine. And it is was disabling vsync all the time the cause was that it had an application profile already loaded from the nvidia drivers that stated to force it off. MIght be the same issue for wolfenstein since it is the same engine but dunno for sure.
The thing is, whilst g-sync and v-sync may appear to be different versions of the same setting in nvidia control panel, they really aren't and are seperate. It's just that enabling "variable refresh" automatically switches vsync off. I'm sure this has been done at driver level, but I'm sure it would also be technically possible to run g-sync and vsync at the same time (not that you'd want to lol). This is what G-sync really is, you can just leave vsync to app controlled. You can even run a custom res like 1920x1078 that doesn't work with gsync, and when you switch resolution in game, 1078 is vsync and 1080 is g-sync on the fly without even having to restart the game and change settings:

http://i.imgur.com/yMYsuze.png

But yeah, g-sync doesn't switch off mid game for me. Mind you neither did vsync in RAGE. But I thought the in game vsync for idtech 5 never worked anyway, I always forced from driver level

jumbobreakfast

Post by jumbobreakfast » 18 Jun 2014, 04:47

Has anyone tried Arma 3 multiplayer? That game has engine related and client - server related stutter that results in rapidly fluctuating framerates. Also, it's hard to get above 60 FPS.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 22 Jun 2014, 11:38

I tried to do this a while ago but there didn't seem to be much interest. I could go dig up my thread and add the information here, though unfortunately I haven't been keeping track of the behavior with games I've played more recently since nobody seemed to be interested.

I would like to add that I did quite extensive testing with Max Payne 3. When running in DX10.1 or DX11 mode, G-sync was a complete failure with constant stuttering. Running in DX9 or DX10 it ran nearly flawlessly, but cutscenes still stuttered badly due to the "cinematic" artificial framerate restriction.