HOWTO: Blacklisting or whitelisting G-SYNC for specific apps (forcing G-SYNC ON/OFF for just one app, etc)

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

HOWTO: Blacklisting or whitelisting G-SYNC for specific apps (forcing G-SYNC ON/OFF for just one app, etc)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 May 2022, 21:26

How to Force G-SYNC ON/OFF automatically only for specific apps

Some software don't work well with G-SYNC due to various kinds of problem (glitching, stutter, flicker, etc).

NVIDIA Control Panel (NVCP) lets you force-disable or force-enable G-SYNC for specific apps, but it's a very non-intuitive procedure.

You can do it in a blacklist approach (NVCP Enable G-SYNC globally and disable per-app)
Or you can do it as a whitelist approach (NVCP Disable G-SYNC globally and enable per-app)

First, do this:
- Always enable G-SYNC on your monitor (if it's a G-SYNC Compatible, it may be a "FreeSync" setting or "AdaptiveSync" setting)
- For blacklist approach, enable G-SYNC globally in NVCP (Display -> Set up G-SYNC -> Enable for all apps, windowed too)
- For whitelist approach, disable G-SYNC globally in NVCP (Display -> Set up G-SYNC -> Clear checkbox)

Then in NVCP:
1. Then create an application-specific profile via "Program Settings" tab of "Manage 3D Settings".
2. Choose the application (e.g. steam.exe or photoshop.exe) in "Select a program to customize"
3. Select "High performance NVIDIA processor" if it prompts you for a preferred GPU instead of integrated GPU.
4. In the list of "Specify settings for this program", scroll down to "Monitor Technology"
5. Change "Monitor Technology" away from "Use Global Setting" to use "Fixed Refresh Rate" (blacklist) or "G-SYNC" (whitelist)

Voila!

Repeat per-app for the applications you want to surgically force-enable or force-disable G-SYNC in.

Both approaches of blacklisting and whitelisting works. But regardless of approach you do, monitor menus VRR setting should always be enabled before you begin to configure per-app. Otherwise, "Monitor Technology" disappears if you disable VRR in the monitor OSD.

Per-windowed-application G-SYNC configuration!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Crazyness

Re: HOWTO: Blacklisting or whitelisting G-SYNC for specific apps (forcing G-SYNC ON/OFF for just one app, etc)

Post by Crazyness » 28 May 2022, 10:23

if you are lucky enough,and you have G-Free-Sync in yours monitor OSD..

You can with 1 click ON-OFF toggle it :)

example:

On my Acer 390hz in OSD i have that toggle,
so when i select OFF there is not even G-Free-sync setting in NVCP available.

Enable global G-Free-sync in NVCP
and when you want 2 blacklist,
just flip the switch and voila :)

On my previus 1440p 144hz i didnt have that option,
in monitors OSD,

I personally dont like any sort of "crutch" tech helping with fluidity or clarity,
beside native pannels capabilty of producing clear and fluid image,

So i needed 2 use HDMI 2 "overcoom" G-Free-sync appearing in NVCP
bcs on DP conection,it will appear.

(you can also force ON/OFF via nvidia profile inspector no matter DP-HDMI)

I honestly think that TOGGLE in monitors OSD should be standard and forced on every future monitors release.