G-SYNC 240Hz in 60fps games

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Matmalin

G-SYNC 240Hz in 60fps games

Post by Matmalin » 04 Jun 2022, 05:53

Hi,
this is my first post, so please be understanding.
My problem is a 60fps games in 240Hz, some say they should be smooth with a G-SYNC monitor even at 60fps. Unfortunately, this is not the case with me. Games with native fps lock, e.g. skyrim, wolfenstein run very badly and tear without v-sync turned on. When I turn on v-sync in the controller with G-sync ON, the tearing disappears, but the game continues as if it was delayed. I have a 60Hz laptop and these games run much smoother at 60Hz and 60FPS than at 240Hz GSYNC + VSYNC ON. Why is it like that? I have read a few topics about this team and the conclusions that I draw are that everything should be the same or smoother. I have an HP OMEN X25 monitor with G-SYNC module, please help me what to do to make games with fps cap run smoothly at 60 fps with 240Hz and whether it is possible at all.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: G-SYNC 240Hz in 60fps games

Post by RealNC » 04 Jun 2022, 06:57

Matmalin wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 05:53
Some games have horrible frame pacing when they try to limit their FPS to 60 but you run them on a high refresh rate display. Many times, you can fix their frame pacing by manually limiting their FPS.

For Skyrim for example, you can disable vsync in the game's ini file. For Skyrim do:

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_E ... 28Vsync.29

Then you can force vsync in the game's profile in the nvidia control panel. In that profile, also set "Max frame rate" to 60. This should fix the issue. This should also work for other Bethesda RPGs that use the same engine (like Fallout 4.)

In other games that have this problem you can usually just limit their FPS to 60 in their nvidia panel profile.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Matmalin

Post by Matmalin » 04 Jun 2022, 09:38

When I limit the frames to 60fps, these 60fps do not look as smooth as on the 60hz matrix, is this a problem with my monitor 240hz because, for example, it only supports the DP 1.2 cable and apparently it must be 1.4 to make 60fps look smooth. Are 240Hz monitors just not suitable for 60fps?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 04 Jun 2022, 11:42

Matmalin wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 09:38
When I limit the frames to 60fps, these 60fps do not look as smooth as on the 60hz matrix, is this a problem with my monitor 240hz because, for example, it only supports the DP 1.2 cable and apparently it must be 1.4 to make 60fps look smooth. Are 240Hz monitors just not suitable for 60fps?
I don't know. My 165Hz monitor looks perfectly smooth at 60Hz with g-sync. Maybe your monitor is just horrible at g-sync.

Or maybe g-sync is not enabled, for some reason. You can enable the g-sync indicator in the nvidia panel. If you do that, and g-sync is actually active, some green text saying "G-SYNC" will appear in the upper-right of the screen. If not, then that means g-sync is not actually active.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Jun 2022, 20:31

Matmalin wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 09:38
You need to use a microsecond-accurate frame rate capper like RTSS, instead of an in-game frame rate capper. This can solve the 60fps fluidity issue, since RTSS caps much more smoothly.

Alternatively, as a last resort, switch your monitor to 60Hz mode, and use 60Hz + VSYNC ON + NULL for un-cooperative VRR-incompatible content. Thankfully, you can do this only for one or two specific games that may be balking at 240 Hz.

I have seen G-SYNC monitors be accidentally disabled in games. So check that too.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Matmalin

Post by Matmalin » 05 Jun 2022, 15:02

RealNC wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 11:42
Or maybe g-sync is not enabled, for some reason. You can enable the g-sync indicator in the nvidia panel. If you do that, and g-sync is actually active, some green text saying "G-SYNC" will appear in the upper-right of the screen. If not, then that means g-sync is not actually active.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 20:31

I have seen G-SYNC monitors be accidentally disabled in games. So check that too.
Thank you for replys.
Of course, I will immediately point out that there is no tearing, just as if no liquidity = 60 fps real is a 30 fps I did so, It still feels like the game is 20-30fps, not 60fps. Is something wrong with my monitor ?. In the game, I always turn on G-sync + vsync on + cap or RTSS / nvidia limiter
At 240Hz and 60fps in the monitor such green-pink waves appear when i record video in 60 fps and at 60hz and 60fps there is no such effect. In any case, the game is still not the same as on the 60 hz in my laptop matrix compared to the OMEN X25 monitor set to 60 hz or 60fps @ 240hz mode, it just feels best if there are more than 80-90 fps on this 240Hz matrix