SuperDisplay program remove screen tearing somehow?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
henrypdt

SuperDisplay program remove screen tearing somehow?

Post by henrypdt » 01 Jul 2022, 15:55

I doubt many are familiar with SuperDisplay, I doubt this is even the right place to ask this but I cant seem to find any information about this so here I go

SuperDisplay is an Android app with Windows driver to basically connect your android device to your PC with either USB cable or Wi-Fi to work as a second monitor. It also supports pressure-sensitive styluses if that is relevant.

So normally I use my primary monitor with G-Sync and V-Sync on in my primary monitor, letting Nvidia Reflex in Valorant to automatically cap my fps to 162 on my 170hz refresh rate monitor. So while connecting my tablet to my PC as second monitor, I tried to get on and play Valorant and noticed that G-sync is not active as my frames has gone up to 170 fps and the G-sync indicator is no longer there, but when I unplug it, G-sync is active again and everything went back to normal.

What weird about this is when I try playing Valorant with Gsync off (Fixed Refresh) and vsync off and uncapped frames, when normally there are alot of screen tearing, when connecting my tablet with the app, there is no more tearing, even when frames are uncapped with G-sync, V-sync and Fast-sync disabled. And like before, when I disconnect my tablet, it returns to normal and tearing start happening again

So with all of this, what I am thinking is that when the tablet is connected, there is some kind of global syncing going on that disabled my Gsync and works even at uncapped fps over my refresh rate, somehow similar to Fast-sync? I dont feel like the latency is worse with my tablet connected and it feels smooth but I have no measurable data to show for it. If someone else have the app or experienced something similar please reply

TLDR: App somehow disable G-Sync and just completely remove screen tearing with uncapped frames over refresh rate with no noticeable latency?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: SuperDisplay program remove screen tearing somehow?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jul 2022, 01:35

I use Duet with my iPad, so I am familiar with these.

This is because VSYNC ON is now being used as the global sync technology;

To disassociate the sync technologies need:
(A) Make your G-SYNC monitor the primary
(B) Run the game in full screen exclusive (never windowed, never borderless)
(C) You are not running a surround monitor mode
(D) You are not running any mirroring (Android as monitor must be extend to 2nd monitor)
(E) Latest Windows 10

In order for G-SYNC to work better on a multimonitor system.

Now, that being said, there may be incompatibilities or an item (F) I have omitted...
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

henrypdt

Post by henrypdt » 02 Jul 2022, 05:12

I was just about to give up and reply to you that I have checked all of the above and more, that I extended my display (not mirror), monitor is set to primary, that the program is in fullscreen exclusive (tested with both dx11 and dx12 games) and that the issue still persists if I connect SuperDisplay before or after starting the game. All of which still does not work.

But then I tried disabling and enabling DLDSR/DSR and everything suddenly worked again. G-Sync now works even when SuperDisplay is enabled. This is really weird and must be some bugs regarding the resolution somehow

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jul 2022, 20:22

henrypdt wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 05:12
But then I tried disabling and enabling DLDSR/DSR and everything suddenly worked again. G-Sync now works even when SuperDisplay is enabled. This is really weird and must be some bugs regarding the resolution somehow
It's possible you enabled DLSS/DSR or other algorithm while you were in a limbo mode, and something got initialized incorrectly.

I know that monitor factory reset + graphics driver reinstall is often a brute-force solution that often fixes stuck weirdness like this, but glad you found a surgical solution!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!