Gsync compatable vs real gsync module

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Razzed311

Gsync compatable vs real gsync module

Post by Razzed311 » 28 Jul 2022, 20:45

Gsync on vsync on/off ullm on /off tried all ways

So ive been doing some tests for a while hoping someone can help.

In control the game if i use a gsync compatible monitor, (I've used Samsung G7 and LG cx), control stutters when moving the mouse. Diablo 3 stutters as you move the background stutters this basically disappears if you disable gsync and just use vsync.(but you must disable gsync)

If i use a gsync module equipped monitor (Asus pg279qm) these stutters are eliminated. to me that is super weird.

I also noticed that in control if you drop the fps limit below 100 to say 90 the stutters will disappear on the CX i didn't check the G7.

So, is this a real thing? Is the gsync module that much better? Or is there some way i can test it to find out the issues?

I originally chalked it up to the game engines but then i got a real gsync monitor and it does not have the stutters.

plz halp
Thanks!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Gsync compatable vs real gsync module

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Jul 2022, 22:17

Razzed311 wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 20:45
So, is this a real thing? Is the gsync module that much better? Or is there some way i can test it to find out the issues?
Native G-SYNC is currently the gold standard in VRR at the moment, and it handles VRR-range-crossing events much better (e.g. framerate range can briefly exit VRR range with a lot less stutter).

Using G-SYNC Compatible can work well if you keep your framerate range well within VRR range.

The gold standard is to always purchase more VRR range (e.g. 360-500Hz) to make sure your uncapped framerate range (e.g. CS:GO 300fps) always stays permanently inside the VRR range. Then you don't have to worry about how good G-SYNC versus G-SYNC Compatible handles stutter-free VRR-range enter/exit situations.

Also NVIDIA performance on FreeSync monitors is not as good as AMD performance on FreeSync monitors, in terms of stutter-free VRR behaviors.

Eventually people will need to benchmark these VRR-range-crossing events.

If you have a limited VRR range and your game has ever touched maximum VRR range in frame rate before, then the best fix is to make sure you use VSYNC ON and a framerate cap approximately 3fps below (or even a bit more -- sometimes 10fps below for some displays). Use VSYNC OFF in-game, but VSYNC ON in NVIDIA Control Panel.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Razzed311

Post by Razzed311 » 29 Jul 2022, 16:20

yeah i cap at 230 nvidia vsync on the monitors still different behaviors idk why it would be crossing vrr i get the framerates stable as well.

enterprise24

Post by enterprise24 » 12 Jul 2023, 17:29

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 22:17
Razzed311 wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 20:45
Native G-SYNC is currently the gold standard in VRR at the moment, and it handles VRR-range-crossing events much better (e.g. framerate range can briefly exit VRR range with a lot less stutter).

Using G-SYNC Compatible can work well if you keep your framerate range well within VRR range.

The gold standard is to always purchase more VRR range (e.g. 360-500Hz) to make sure your uncapped framerate range (e.g. CS:GO 300fps) always stays permanently inside the VRR range. Then you don't have to worry about how good G-SYNC versus G-SYNC Compatible handles stutter-free VRR-range enter/exit situations.

Also NVIDIA performance on FreeSync monitors is not as good as AMD performance on FreeSync monitors, in terms of stutter-free VRR behaviors.

Eventually people will need to benchmark these VRR-range-crossing events.

If you have a limited VRR range and your game has ever touched maximum VRR range in frame rate before, then the best fix is to make sure you use VSYNC ON and a framerate cap approximately 3fps below (or even a bit more -- sometimes 10fps below for some displays). Use VSYNC OFF in-game, but VSYNC ON in NVIDIA Control Panel.
Hi chief,

How can I know which fps below refresh rate is most appropriate for each monitor? btw I have AW3423DW and only play an offline games. Nothing competitive just want smoothess experience.

btw I'd like to know more about AW3423DW vs other QD-OLED without G-Sync module in low frame rate or unstable frametimes situation. Could you please elaborate more about this topic?

Artluxo

Post by Artluxo » 07 Dec 2023, 04:56

Ive been looking for a new Screen but since most screens nowadays arent native gsync anymore and just adaptive sync, is there always a noticeable difference like described here between native and adaptive? will my overall performance (monitor stutter) be more visible than compared to a gsync module screen? even if im ALWAYS within the vrr range of the monitor

yehaw

Post by yehaw » 09 Dec 2023, 21:18

I've had all of them, G-Sync module, G-Sync and FreeSync "compatible". My s2417dg with actual G-Sync hardware was by far the smoothest image I've seen with fluctuating FPS. The FreeSync/G-Sync compatible modes just don't look as buttery smooth, I just turn them off and stick with no syncing. When I had the S24, I left G-Sync on at all times. There's a reason they're free and G-Sync module costs extra money.

I hope the OLEDs in January have G-Sync modules.