Need Pro advice pertaining RefreshHz/Gsync

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
idleKnivez

Need Pro advice pertaining RefreshHz/Gsync

Post by idleKnivez » 04 Aug 2022, 16:22

I have a few questions pertaining an ideal setup for Gsync/Refresh rate. I'm going to list my computer specs just to clear the air on those questions if the info is relevant or not.

Monitor: ViewSonic - VX2458-mhd (144hz, Freesync but works with Gsync)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X (3.90GHz)
GPU: Nvidia 1660 Ti
Ram: 16gb @ 3400 MHz
Mouse: Razer Viper V2 Pro

*Question*
Alright I've scoured the internet with mixed answers on this and I play a lot of competitive FPS games and tournaments. My current setup can't really maintain 144hz/FPS so for awhile now I've ran my monitor in 120hz mode and run Gsync with in game cap at 117fps.

I guess the main question I'm curious about is would it be better for me to keep my native monitor settings @ 144hz and just cap my in game FPS to 120? I've read some people claim this is better but then I see others mention frame timing and more input latency. I want to attain the best performance I can because every frame is a game changer to an extent.

I'm also very interested in explanations not just a yes or no answer. So I can better understand and acquire some knowledge on the topic.

I use the recommended Gsync settings if that matter at all. Gsync+Vsync+Ultra Low Latency Mode

jorimt

Re: Need Pro advice pertaining RefreshHz/Gsync

Post by jorimt » 04 Aug 2022, 16:36

idleKnivez wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 16:22
I guess the main question I'm curious about is would it be better for me to keep my native monitor settings @ 144hz and just cap my in game FPS to 120?
With G-SYNC specifically? Yes, see:
https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... ttings/13/ And viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9001&p=70809&hilit=realnc#p70808

Lowering the physical refresh rate with G-SYNC will slow frame delivery, regardless of framerate.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

idleKnivez

Post by idleKnivez » 04 Aug 2022, 16:48

Thanks jorimt, I don't know how I missed this article browsing around. I had this weird feeling I'm probably not using the best settings for my current setup.

That's also interesting to find out Emulators run better as well. I still to this day load up old school NES,SNES,Genesis and etc.

So if I'm understanding fully I'm better off running native 1080p 144hz and just cap to a FPS I can maintain the best.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 04 Aug 2022, 18:19

idleKnivez wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 16:48
So if I'm understanding fully I'm better off running native 1080p 144hz and just cap to a FPS I can maintain the best.
With G-SYNC, correct; set your display to it's highest available physical refresh rate, then use an FPS limiter to control the variable refresh "rate" instead of lowering the physical refresh rate. This will ensure the fastest frame delivery possible, regardless of achievable average framerates.

Additionally, not directly related to G-SYNC, if you set an FPS limit your system can sustain 99% of the time that also prevents max GPU usage, it will keep the render queue clear of extra pre-rendered frames as well, reducing latency similar to LLM and Reflex, both of which use different methods; the former attempts to reduce the amount of pre-rendered frames that can be made at the time, where supported, and the latter sets a dynamic FPS limit dependent on current GPU load so your system doesn't have to maintain a constant average framerate.

A static FPS limit is about as effective as Reflex in otherwise GPU-bound situations (assuming your system can sustain the average at the limit set), which is a useful method in games where Reflex isn't supported, whereas LLM is the least effective, since it isn't support in every game/API (even when enabled), reduces the maximum pre-rendered frames to "1" instead of 0, and is overridden when Reflex is active anyway.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)