Do external (NVCP, RTSS) and internal (in-game) frame limiters conflict if they are not set to the same FPS values?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
D-Crypt

Do external (NVCP, RTSS) and internal (in-game) frame limiters conflict if they are not set to the same FPS values?

Post by D-Crypt » 05 Aug 2022, 04:19

I have my max frame rate capped globally for all games in NVCP at 180 FPS (both for G-SYNC and OBS, as 180 is evenly divisible by 60 for smooth recordings and streams).

If I'm running a game that has its FPS capped to 120 FPS, would that cause any issues, or is it only a problem if both limiters have the exact same FPS cap?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Do external (NVCP, RTSS) and internal (in-game) frame limiters conflict if they are not set to the same FPS values?

Post by RealNC » 05 Aug 2022, 04:34

The higher cap doesn't have a chance to activate, so it's not an issue, especially if one of the two caps is from the in-game FPS limiter.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Do external (NVCP, RTSS) and internal (in-game) frame limiters conflict if they are not set to the same FPS values?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Aug 2022, 17:27

RealNC is right.

That being said, in the case that a lower-latency in-game cap is flawed/fluctuating/inaccurate, then in some rare cases, having both is useful. (A lower in game cap, 5-8fps below VRR, and a higher RTSS cap 3fps below VRR max Hz)

A lower less laggy inaccurate cap, and a higher more laggy accurate cap (as a fallback if the lower cap doesn’t successfully throttle a too-fast frametime)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!