Gsync interaction with new RTSS frame limit modes?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
jabbo

Gsync interaction with new RTSS frame limit modes?

Post by jabbo » 22 Sep 2022, 16:47

I've read the Gsync 101 article so have a general understanding of the technology but am more curious now on the interaction of nuance features with it, such as RTSS's 3 different frame limit modes: async, front-edge, and back-edge. Does anyone know how these play with a correctly configured Gsync setup (nvcp vsync on, frame cap minus 3 of refresh rate, gsync on)? From the description, they appear to affect frame timings, but the method can impact the latency. So I guess I'm curious if Gsync accomplishes some of what they do already, in which case it may be better to use the "fastest" async, or, if using fast-edge may smooth out the timings and Gsync already gives you the lowest input lag, thus potentially making it the better option?

Thanks

jorimt

Re: Gsync interaction with new RTSS frame limit modes?

Post by jorimt » 22 Sep 2022, 18:43

jabbo wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 16:47
To my knowledge, all of the RTSS frame limiting modes are G-SYNC agnostic. I.E. they won't change base G-SYNC behavior, just like using an in-game vs an external limiter won't; one limiting method may simply be lower latency than the other, with or without G-SYNC.

As to the difference between RTSS limiting modes, I haven't done any tests, but I gather there's more frametime peformance than latency differences between them (and probably very minor at that).

Finally, the official tooltip for the limiting modes is already pretty descriptive:

The default async mode with passive waiting off (also default) seems to be the lowest latency and most optimal for general use.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

jabbo

Post by jabbo » 22 Sep 2022, 20:55

Many thanks Jorimt, as always.

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 23 Sep 2022, 03:11

That was really insightful, the tooltip helps massively as well. Kind of curious to the Front Edge Sync mode, would that be a more smoother perceivable experience?

Gonna try them out regardless, fun testing time for the weekend.
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you