G-Sync & Vsync question with weird FPS cap

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
DFL91

Re: G-Sync & Vsync question with weird FPS cap

Post by DFL91 » 20 Jan 2023, 07:36

RealNC wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 13:41
hockeyfanyeg97 wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 13:14
So my question I guess is if I'm using nvidia reflex and getting 224 fps frame cap with vsync should I then set my frame limiter to 221 fps because its suggested to set it 3 under the frame rate?
No idea. At this point, maybe vsync off is better. If you don't get tearing, that is.
Apologies for bumping an old post. I just need some clarification.

I'm using a BenQ Zowie 2546K monitor with DyAc+ so I'm not looking to use G-Sync because I'd rather not give up DyAc for it.

I'm running a 5800X and an RTX 3070 with 32gb RAM DOCP @ 3600 mhz. Most of the time I can maintain 240fps in Apex Legends but in hectic instances or when looking in certain directions where the game needs to render a lot, I drop below 240fps and things look stuttery/jittery.

I've come to the conclusion that running at 180fps is good and I can maintain that virtually 99.9% of the time. So I've used Custom Res Utility (CRU) to set the monitor to 180hz. Whenever I tried to set a custom res for a custom refresh rate in NVCP, it would still jump to 240hz in-game and when I alt-tab it would go back to 180. Anyways, CRU keeps me at 180hz all the time and I'm happy with that.

Back to not using G-Sync for DyAc+. I'd very much like to keep using V-Sync because I hate tearing and no matter what I do, I get tearing without V-Sync even at high refresh rates, and I've become very sensitive to tearing so I always use V-Sync now.

With V-Sync on, I have LLM set to On in NVCP and in-game I have Reflex set to On with no boost. The game mostly runs great and smooth.

Without any other frame limiter, my FPS gets capped to my refresh rate (180hz = 180fps) but it's fluctuating. It's constantly going between 179 to 182 fps. During that time it's still smooth. But too often I'll get microstutters and playing back the footage in VLC frame-by-frame, I notice my FPS jumps up to like 190-200+ in those millisecond couple frame instances of microstutters.

When I use a frame limiter like RivaTuner at a 179 or 180 cap, my FPS stays relatively more stable. But I'd like to not have to use RivaTuner or 3rd party frame limiters and the NVCP frame limiter only makes things worse.

My first question is what is really enforcing this FPS cap to be tied to my refresh rate? Is it V-Sync with LLM or V-Sync with Reflex?

My second question is if I want to use V-Sync with a stable 180 FPS on 180hz, do I use both LLM and Reflex or just one of the two?

Or do I actually need to use RivaTuner, NVCP frame cap, or in-game frame cap to keep my FPS from bouncing from 180 to 180+ to stop these microstutters?

My experience with NVCP and the in-game cap (not at the same time) have not been great because it feels like two framecaps (the V-Sync one and another) interfering with each other. So far RivaTuner has been ok, but like I said, I feel like I shouldn't have to use that if V-Sync and LLM or V-Sync and Reflex is already trying to cap me at 180.

Is it the monitor that isn't actually staying at 180hz 100% of the time causing the V-Sync framecap to along with it?

This stuff is a little over my head. Any help would be appreciated.