New G sync member

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
mr_lance

New G sync member

Post by mr_lance » 02 Jul 2014, 23:05

Hey everyone, this is my first post in this forum! I just got my Gsync diy kit this afternoon and successfully have it installed on my Asus monitor. Had some issues loading games as I think my display port cable originally used was a 1.0 not 1.2, after installing the Nvidia provided cable it looks ok. My Question is: After enabling G Sync in the global control panel, when I'm in game, ie Titanfall, Eso, do I need to turn my Vsync to on or off for Gsync to work correctly? I've searched everywhere but haven't gotten any "exact" answers on this. Help is definitely greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading and Game on!

gzboli

Re: New G sync member

Post by gzboli » 03 Jul 2014, 00:06

Vsync should be Off and the game run in Full screen mode for gsync to work. Gsync is not available on the desktop or in Windowed Fullscreen modes. You can check if it is enabled by pressing one of the buttons to bring up the OSD which will say it is in "Normal DP mode" or "GSync Mode".

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 03 Jul 2014, 09:39

It really doesn't matter if vsync is enabled at the driver level or in the game, variable refresh rate overrides it anyway.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Jul 2014, 11:03

fenderjaguar wrote:It really doesn't matter if vsync is enabled at the driver level or in the game, variable refresh rate overrides it anyway.
It's still recommended to disable it in the game's settings because it might affect other game engine settings that assume vsync is active.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

mr_lance

Post by mr_lance » 03 Jul 2014, 11:24

Tanks for the input, wasn't quite sure how to take advantage of G sync in game mode. By-the-way, looks like I am having problems with the module afterall, tried running some benches and whole program freezes on me and screen kinda blinks, I've noticed turning it off in control panel everything seems to be fine, but the second I turn it on and go in game, is when it crashes :(
Maybe I'll upload a video of it later on today so everyone can see what I'm talking about

mr_lance

Post by mr_lance » 05 Jul 2014, 12:25

Hey everyone, here's a video I shot of the Gsync issues I have, please let me know if you're familiar with this at might know a fix for it, thanks

phpBB [video]

PoWn3d_0704

Post by PoWn3d_0704 » 05 Jul 2014, 13:07

Interesting. Very much so. COULD be a bad DIY kit. As you should know, all harware has a DOA rate.

I've personally never seen something like that.

With the normal/Gsync thing, its normal. Once you are in game, in FULLSCREEN (No borderless Windowed mode) then the monitor kicks Gsync on.

Just have to make sure that VSync is turned off in game.

With that said, Chief will know more about your issue, buts its possible that its just dead.
Asus VG248QE with GSync. Blur Busters GSync Contest Winner.

mr_lance

Post by mr_lance » 05 Jul 2014, 13:21

I knew I wasn't crazy, haha. I've don't it both ways off and on and the problem still persists, haven't had a doa yet, but maybe that could be the case. I've been trying to get a hold of nvidia directly but can't find a troubleshooting number other than the geforce forums, but this forum is a lot better with helpful replies.

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 06 Jul 2014, 14:57

What GPU are you using, a 780? Have you tried it just with the G-sync monitor only and not with those other 2 monitors you have plugged in?

mr_lance

Post by mr_lance » 06 Jul 2014, 15:38

fenderjaguar wrote:What GPU are you using, a 780? Have you tried it just with the G-sync monitor only and not with those other 2 monitors you have plugged in?
Yes it's an EVGA GTX 780 classified on water. I reverted the gpu back to stock settings right now just to be sure there's no extra variables involved with crashing. The second monitor is just a slave on HDMI. my ASUS is the main display I use for gaming, I could try and unplug the secondary one to be sure that's not the issue, will give it a shot and repost my results