[G-Sync Compatible] Not working properly until I turn off and on my monitor

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Finnen

[G-Sync Compatible] Not working properly until I turn off and on my monitor

Post by Finnen » 10 Nov 2022, 16:42

I have an ongoing problem with my monitor AOC 27G2U. It's a 144Hz G-Sync Compatible monitor. I have it configured according to G-Sync Optimized Settings (NVCP V-Sync "On", Low Latency "Enabled", RTSS cap at "141").

Basically, G-Sync is not always working properly, and instead it is producing stutters similarly to traditional V-Sync ON locked on non-even number. It's far less noticeable when I can maintain high FPS, but it's definitely noticeable below 60 FPS in modern games. But when you lock the game at 40 or 30 FPS, it becomes visible the most - I get this very "even" sawtooth kind of stutter.

In my monitor's OSD there's an option to "display framerate" which I assume, in reality, is displaying the current refresh rate the monitor is working on. So in a proper situation, when the game is locked at stable 30 FPS, the monitor's OSD should report something like 90 because of LFC, right? Instead, when the game is locked at 30 FPS, the monitor is reporting constantly switching 50/75/50/75/50/75/50/75. That is the problem.

That is, until I turn the monitor off and on again and restart my game. Sometimes I have to do it once, sometimes twice, sometimes more. But at some point it "works" and G-Sync starts working properly. And yes, the monitor then reports stable, non-fluctuating 90 when the game is locked at 30 FPS.

Same happens in G-Sync Pendulum Test. Visible stutter until I do the "turn it off and on again" trick. It's just very annoying because you always have to test it and remember to do it before you start playing, and sometimes it requires just one monitor restart, sometimes more, sometimes I have to turn off and on G-Sync in NVCP... Once I get it to work, it seems to keep working fine. Until I turn off my PC and go to sleep. Next day - same story.

Did anyone have similar experience? Is it because it's a FreeSync monitor that is just G-Sync Compatible and such issues are expected? It's been happening on both Windows 10 and 11 during different OS installations in the past few years.

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1080
Current OS: Windows 11
All the screen saving / power saving features are turned off. My monitor is not going to sleep until I turn my PC off.