Asus VG248QE and G-Sync kit

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Koldur

Asus VG248QE and G-Sync kit

Post by Koldur » 08 Jul 2014, 02:57

Hello all, I have been reading up on all of this tech the last few days and a lot of information is coming at you if you haven't kept up the last few years ;)
I think I understand most of it now, though I want to be sure before I go ahead and buy this kit. First of all, is it compatible with 220 V outlets? I am going to the USA on vacation soon and sending it to a friend of mine, but when it is 110 V only it is useless to me of course. I will receive the monitor itself today, so until now I have no real life experience with it.
Next question is about trace free, with G-Sync I have come to understand you cannot change its settings anymore? What is the default setting then? Can you still disable it all-together or is it on by default? And I am still a bit confused about trace free and ULMB/Lightboost, trace free is there to avoid blurring to happen, but ULMB/Lightboost does this as well? Can you use trace free and ULMB/Lightboost enabled at the same time? Last question, can you still use lightboost if you want with the G-Sync kit installed?

I will also be using NVIDIA 3D Vision as much as I can, if that is of any importance.

I hope I am not being a noob here, if so, my apologies.

EDIT:
Well, after having tested lightboost on normal desktop use I have decided not to use it, it really has color uniformity issues like the plague! I tried it at 120Hz and the top left corner of my screen gets all pinkish compared to the other parts of the screen with it enabled on the desktop. When disabled the screen looks normal again. It is unusable if you ask me as a desktop setting.

gzboli

Re: Asus VG248QE and G-Sync kit

Post by gzboli » 08 Jul 2014, 21:05

The power brick states "INPUT: 100 - 240 VAC, 50/60Hz, 2A" so looks like voltage is fine.

Trace Free is Asus' implementation of Response Time Compensation. As far as I know the DIY GSync does not have any RTC. ULMB/Lightboost reduce motion blur caused by our eyes continuously tracking moving objects being updated in discrete intervals. RTC reduces pixel transition time.

ULMB is quite a bit better than the Lightboost hack, but the image quality still suffers. You would need someone else's input on 3DVision as I've never used it, but it is available and will use ULMB which is great.

Edit: Are you in some rush to get this? GSync monitors are coming soon. AOC is supposed to be selling an equivalent to the vg248qe+gsync in the UK later this month.

Koldur

Post by Koldur » 09 Jul 2014, 02:53

Thanks for your informative post! I knew about the G-Sync monitors coming soon, but I couldn't wait and read that G-Sync monitors are delayed and I wanted the 3D now. I am very amazed by the 3D, wow! Trine 2 is AMAZING in 3D. But I do see some stutter and I am willing to try the G-Sync module, especially now I know it is fine voltage wise.

gzboli

Post by gzboli » 09 Jul 2014, 22:08

Glad to hear you're liking the 3d! Just wanted to mention that currently Gsync and 3DVision cannot be run at the same time.

Koldur

Post by Koldur » 10 Jul 2014, 03:35

gzboli wrote:Glad to hear you're liking the 3d! Just wanted to mention that currently Gsync and 3DVision cannot be run at the same time.
Thanks and yeah, I just found out and if you think about it it makes so much sense, it cannot work together because of the way both techs work, 3D needs a constant 120Hz to be sent out by the monitor and G-Sync gives you a variable frame rate/refresh rate, so that is inherently incompatible. Could have thought about that earlier, so I think I will skip the G-Sync module after all since I will be using 3D gaming more than 2D gaming. after playing Trine 2 in 3D it is almost unplayable in 2D, while it is effectively a 2D platformer.

flood

Post by flood » 10 Jul 2014, 05:11

gzboli wrote: Trace Free is Asus' implementation of Response Time Compensation. As far as I know the DIY GSync does not have any RTC.
yes it does actually and unfortunately it's not adjustable
to my eyes, it's equivalent to TF60 in the default vg248qe. (slight overshoot)

best pictures i could get with phone:

CoMa

Post by CoMa » 13 Jul 2014, 15:54

So it's the trace free!! i want to disable it for my vg248qe modded g-sync but no option about it...