Stutter caused by G-SYNC (video demonstration)

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
maul

Stutter caused by G-SYNC (video demonstration)

Post by maul » 13 Dec 2022, 16:05

I've been having microstutter in certain games for some time now, and G-SYNC seems to partially be the culprit.

Here's an example in Portal 2 by rotating the camera around - first example is no G-SYNC, second is with G-SYNC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT-tMPI9OLQ

As you can see, the frametimes are entirely smooth at first, then when G-SYNC is turned on there is fairly consistent stutter based on moving the camera. It's more random when walking around.

Note that it doesn't matter whether it's windowed/full screen, the result is the same. I just disabled it for windowed to make this video easier. Also, capping the framerate to a few frames below actually seems to make the stutters even more noticeable.

Using a 10900k/4090, Windows 10. What is the deal?

jorimt

Re: Stutter caused by G-SYNC (video demonstration)

Post by jorimt » 13 Dec 2022, 19:29

maul wrote:
13 Dec 2022, 16:05
1) frametime variances don't always = visible stutter, and 2) what you're seeing in this particular instance may be caused by reporting differences on the RTSS-side between the two scenarios, not G-SYNC.

Also to be clear right off, G-SYNC does not prevent system-side stutter, only sync stutter.

We'd need more details to determine anything in this particular instance; your complete system specs, key OS settings, NVCP settings, in-game settings, etc.

I have Portal 2 as well. What map were you on in the video, and what are you capping the framerate with (when you are capping it)? RTSS, Nvidia MFR, in-game?
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)