Question for competitive FPS games. Which would be better, Higher unlocked FPS or G-Sync locked at the same refresh rate

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
ohbehave22x

Question for competitive FPS games. Which would be better, Higher unlocked FPS or G-Sync locked at the same refresh rate

Post by ohbehave22x » 24 Dec 2022, 13:36

I have heard multiple different opinions on this question and figured I might as well ask here.

I have a dell g-sync 165hz monitor, but my system can push beyond 165fps in many games (13700k, 4080) I've tried switching between unlocked FPS (Or locked to a 3x interval of 165x3=495) and G-sync (FPS lock to 162 to prevent going over), but it's hard to really get a feel for the differences.

For competitive FPS games at a mid-to-high level(CS Go, Overwatch, Valorant, Cod, etc) Would you say it's better to have a higher frame rate given the rate will be consistent at 400 for example, OR would it be beneficial to lock the FPS at 160-165 with G-sync on? (V-sync off in both scenarios)

I know for most games, having G-Sync enabled is preferred for overall smoothness typically better, but at mid-to-high level play in FPS games some people say that it's better to get as many frames as possible regardless of tearing/syncing/whatever you monitor can output.

jorimt

Re: Question for competitive FPS games. Which would be better, Higher unlocked FPS or G-Sync locked at the same refresh

Post by jorimt » 25 Dec 2022, 20:09

ohbehave22x wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 13:36
Short answer, see:
https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... ettings/9/
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Mentucius

Re: Question for competitive FPS games. Which would be better, Higher unlocked FPS or G-Sync locked at the same refresh

Post by Mentucius » 07 Jan 2023, 06:51

ohbehave22x wrote:
I have heard multiple different opinions on this question and figured I might as well ask here.

I have a dell g-sync 165hz monitor, but my system can push beyond 165fps in many games (13700k, 4080) I've tried switching between unlocked FPS (Or locked to a 3x interval of 165x3=495) and G-sync (FPS lock to 162 to prevent going over), but it's hard to really get a feel for the differences.

For competitive FPS games at a mid-to-high level(CS Go, Overwatch, Valorant, Cod, etc) Would you say it's better to have a higher frame rate given the rate will be consistent at 400 for example, OR would it be beneficial to lock the FPS at 160-165 with G-sync on? (V-sync off in both scenarios)

I know for most games, having G-Sync enabled is preferred for overall smoothness typically better, but at mid-to-high level play in FPS games some people say that it's better to get as many frames as possible regardless of tearing/syncing/whatever you monitor can output.
I would say is more personal and about feeling. I personally prefer to play uncapped fps and I always disable gsync in nvidia panel

natalie321

Post by natalie321 » 03 Apr 2023, 04:54

ohbehave22x wrote:
Putting the frame rate first and unlocking your FPS may be preferable if you are more concerned with performance and responsiveness. However,build now gg you could lock your FPS at 160–165 and enable G-Sync to enhance the visual smoothness if you find screen tearing or stuttering irritating.

Worstylolzs

Post by Worstylolzs » 19 Dec 2023, 08:28

ohbehave22x wrote:

I know it's old thread but how mentucius said it's about your preference. If you want lowest input lag, get no cap and no any sync. For more better input lag buy some 360hz+ monitors.

To g-sync + v-sync i tried once and it's like when you first time tries 240hz. You can't go lower or without g+v-sync anymore :D so my personal preference is g+v-sync. But the smoothness of this combo can be destroyed with big FPS drops or with bad 99% fps so first need optimize your system after that you can have g+v-sync.