Best "flip queue size" for G-Sync?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
dmbr

Best "flip queue size" for G-Sync?

Post by dmbr » 15 Jul 2014, 14:47

I know that tweaking the flip queue size can help reduce micro stuttering in certain situations and can reduce input lag with v-sync ...so what about gsync? Is there an ideal value for FPS and input lag?

Falkentyne

Re: Best "flip queue size" for G-Sync?

Post by Falkentyne » 15 Jul 2014, 15:01

There is no such thing as 'flip queue size' on Nvidia cards. That's an Ati variable. It also ONLY affects directX 9- applications; it has no effect on DX10/11; the game has to control such a setting itself.

If you're talking about the Nvidia equivalent (Prerender limit (max frames ahead), afaik, you have to do your own research as I don't know if that also affects only DX9 and older applications.

It has no effect on gsync, which is just adaptive vsync+variable refresh rate, anyway. You're free to try, try setting a value of 9 or 15 (0F hex=15) in the registry and see what happens.

dmbr

Post by dmbr » 15 Jul 2014, 15:47

Yes, I'm talking about the nvidia equivalent.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 16 Jul 2014, 06:36

I don't have a G-Sync monitor, but in theory, that value can be set to whatever you set it for vsync off. So in other words, if you can use a value of 1, then that's best. If you see large FPS fluctuations, then you need to raise it (unless those fluctuations don't bother you.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.