Got the G-Sync kit installed in my VG248QE -- now what?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
lukeman3000

Got the G-Sync kit installed in my VG248QE -- now what?

Post by lukeman3000 » 18 Jul 2014, 02:51

So I successfully installed the G-Sync kit (breaking one plastic locking tab in the process) and I have a couple questions..

1. The first game I played was Crysis. I could tell that G-Sync was working -- it looked incredible. Really increases the immersion. However, a couple time while playing (maybe in the span of 20 minutes), the screen would flicker to black a couple times very quickly and then everything would be normal. Is this a known issue? Any idea why this might have happened?

2. It seems that the only setting I can adjust on my monitor via the OSD buttons is the brightness. When I press "Menu", it just shows me the OSD but it doesn't look like there's anything to do there. What is considered the best way to calibrate my screen for someone without professional calibration tools? I'm aware of SoftMCCS or whatever it's called, but what's the best way to use it? Can or should I use a SoftMCCS profile from someone else with the same screen and G-Sync kit as me?

3. When calibrating with SoftMCCS, I assume you should calibrate for the mode you'll be using most often (likely G-Sync for me, as opposed to ULMB). But what if you want to switch to ULMB? Do you have to calibrate for both modes and switch to another profile when you turn on ULMB?

4. ULMB seems fairly dark even with brightness turned up to 100. Can SoftMCCS correct this?

5. Why exactly is brightness the only adjustable option via the OSB buttons (and not contrast for example)?

6. Is there any way to toggle ULMB via software? I.e., is there an option that can be toggled in the Nvidia control panel or elsewhere instead of pressing a button on my monitor?

7. I noticed that when gaming at 120FPS/120Hz and using ULMB, enabling v-sync added no detectable input lag. I found this interesting because v-sync always added noticeable input lag in the past when gaming on my 60Hz IPS. So if I can game at 120FPS, is there any reason not to enable v-sync? What happens if my FPS drops down below 120 every now and then?

8. The power supply that came with the G-Sync kit produces a high-pitched whine that only seems to go away (mostly) if I turn the brightness down to zero. It also goes away if I turn ULMB on, but I assume this is because the screen is dimmer... Does anyone else's do this? Strangely enough, I noticed that I could stop the whine by squeezing the power brick lightly around its midsection. I was thinking about wrapping something around it (like a zip tie) in order to act like my hand providing pressure.. Seems like a lame solution though.

I hope that the intermittent black flickering I experienced in Crysis is not indicative of a defective kit or of the experience I'll have when using G-Sync.. It really looks fantastic.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Got the G-Sync kit installed in my VG248QE -- now what?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Jul 2014, 08:33

lukeman3000 wrote:So I successfully installed the G-Sync kit (breaking one plastic locking tab in the process) and I have a couple questions..
1. This is a known issue with the first model of GSYNC. Changing drivers can help.

2. This first GSYNC implementation does not have onscreen contrast adjustments in the onscreen menu. SoftMCCS does the monitor adjusting of the screen in this case, it isn't necessarily a professional tool but a means of remotely adjusting the monitor via the computer readjusting the monitor adjustments, a means of bypassing missing menu adjustments. Yes, you can share SoftMCCS adjustments, though it is not the same thing as monitor profiles (icc files), that is not the purpose of SoftMCCS. SoftMCCS is simply a Windows based replacement for your monitor's onscreen menu. Though it can be used for creating your default calibration, then afterwards using different software for icc files if you wish.

3. Correct, and correct. You could use separate icc files (not SoftMCCS)

4. Strobe backlight technologies (motion blur reduction) will often have lower average brightness than without. It is a limitation of light output due to the off periods of backlight between refresh cycles, and SoftMCCS can't correct for this except for making blacks brighter (lowering contrast)

5. This is because it is the first GSYNC product, so it's adjustments are more limited than subsequent GSYNC monitors.

6. There is no software-based way to toggle ULMB on the GSYNC upgrade board, not even via a DCC command. It might be possible on newer GSYNC monitors.

7. ULMB is very VSYNC ON friendly. Lack of motion blur actually compensates (to an extent) input lag during eye-tracking situations (e.g. Not looking stationary at crosshairs, where lag is more critical). Motion looks best when combining strobe backlights (ULMB) with VSYNC ON. When running at full frame rates, and combined with maximum mouse poll rate (good 1000Hz mice), this produces the best motion clarity that money can buy, for situations where that is more important to you than lag. However, input lag is still there, just too tiny to detect for some people. Howevee, beating other competitive game players by a few milliseconds does not require you to be able to "feel" the lag, it can still help you win games. So one may prefer VSYNC OFF/strobing off, in professional leagues. On the other hand, If it does not bother you, and you do not play uber-competitively or you play solo, then VSYNC ON is definitely strongly recommended for fluidity with strobe backlights when lag is not a concern. Slowdowns in framerates will often have sudden lag and stutters, so make sure you adjust details and settings for good VSYNC ON performance.

8. The hum may be normal for the power supply (it is unfortunately common in lots of common power supplies), as there are a few reports. However, replacing the power supply may solve the hum issue. Or getting a third party replacement brick of the same voltage/connector of at least the same wattage. You can also try to relocate the supply brick underneath your desk, or Velcro to the bottom surface of your desk, to reduce the noise.

Hope this helps!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lukeman3000

Post by lukeman3000 » 18 Jul 2014, 17:20

Thanks for the extremely detailed reply, that helps very much!

If I may ask another question, to you or anyone who can answer -

You said that I can use SoftMCCS for the "initial calibration" and then ICC profiles after that. Could you elaborate on what this "initial calibration" would entail? Is the basic idea that I try to get it calibrated as well as I can with SoftMCCS first, and then use ICC profiles to take it further?

Also, does anyone know the most recent driver that works well with G-Sync?

flood

Post by flood » 18 Jul 2014, 19:58

lukeman3000 wrote:So I successfully installed the G-Sync kit (breaking one plastic locking tab in the process) and I have a couple questions..

1. The first game I played was Crysis. I could tell that G-Sync was working -- it looked incredible. Really increases the immersion. However, a couple time while playing (maybe in the span of 20 minutes), the screen would flicker to black a couple times very quickly and then everything would be normal. Is this a known issue? Any idea why this might have happened?
i've seen the same in csgo
8. The power supply that came with the G-Sync kit produces a high-pitched whine that only seems to go away (mostly) if I turn the brightness down to zero. It also goes away if I turn ULMB on, but I assume this is because the screen is dimmer... Does anyone else's do this? Strangely enough, I noticed that I could stop the whine by squeezing the power brick lightly around its midsection. I was thinking about wrapping something around it (like a zip tie) in order to act like my hand providing pressure.. Seems like a lame solution though.
same here
4. ULMB seems fairly dark even with brightness turned up to 100. Can SoftMCCS correct this?
wow... there must be something seriously wrong with me because I use ULMB at 0 brightness for desktop usage
maybe my room isn't bright enough

gzboli

Post by gzboli » 18 Jul 2014, 22:58

Using softmccs I changed my settings to 0% Luminance, 42% contrast, and color to User1 with 100% RGB. Looks a lot better than the default settings.

lukeman3000

Post by lukeman3000 » 23 Jul 2014, 16:54

Has anyone here on blurbusters calibrated the VG248QE and uploaded an ICC color profile? I'm using g-sync, 120 hz.