Gsync and ULMB

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Turboman750

Gsync and ULMB

Post by Turboman750 » 21 Jul 2014, 17:26

I'm aware that ULMB and G-sync are mutually exclusive and I'm curious if this will continue to be in the near future.

I'm considering making a huge investment in the new 1440p ROG swift G-sync monitor and I'm wondering if anybody has some insight into ULMB and G-sync on the hardware level.

Do you think it will be possible to enable both in the near future? and if so do you think it can be fixed via Drivers, or will it require a whole new monitor to be engineered.

I would hate to invest 800$ into the ROG swift and find this technology being combined 6 months later.

Edmond

Re: Gsync and ULMB

Post by Edmond » 22 Jul 2014, 06:30

First of all.
It does seem right now that ULMB and Gsync will remain seperate for quite a while. Since ,completelly new tech that noone has come up with, is needed to combine these.

To me, it seems far more likely that before anyone combines these, we will get a 200+ hz oled displays. Thats when we will get low pixel persistance with variable refresh rates together.
Because gsync/freesync/any variable refresh rate needs a flicker free display. But ULMB/lightboost/any strobing is by nature - flicker introduced into the display.

Secondly.
Honestly, if you upgrade your display rarely/dont want to sell and buy again soon after/ 800$ isnt throw-away money for you - you should wait.

Its a shit answer, i know, but we will see freesync displays @ the end of the year and hopefully see availability of them next year. This interests me more because freesync was demoed on an IPS panel last time, but i havent heard anything about gsync on ips.

The quality of that Rog Swift TN panel doesnt seem to be anything amazing or revolutionary, on the same level as these 4k TN`s comming out now. Which is nice, but certainly isnt worth it 800$ imo. There are 8bit 1080p 144hz TNs comming after a month for 350-400$. The ONLY reason you are paying twice the price for the Rog Swift is because its the first legit 1440p version of that.

Lastly.
This is just me, but if there was a variable refresh ips, i would choose that over a variable refresh high hz TN without a doubt. Im fine with some blur, if the picture is artifact free, perfectly smooth, looks amazing and colors and bigthness dont change if i slightly move my head. I think thats the most liberating screen you can have, and since we saw a demo of it during computex2014... i would wait.

But i love IPS a lot. And you can allways wait for something better. So maybe getting a large gsync TN now is the way to go, i would never pay 800$ for it tho. The 400$ 1080p 8bit 144hz TN from Acer seems like the best choice now ,imo.

MrTommymxr

Re: Gsync and ULMB

Post by MrTommymxr » 28 Jul 2014, 08:05

The reason you cant combine ULMB and Gsync is because:
1. a strobe with a variable refresh rate,is possible, but very tricky
2. to get the lcd pannel and Strobe to sync up will cause lag, as you have to wait for the frame and then sync the strobe and lcd. this would cause input lag. Who knows, it could be 1ms or 10ms.
Third and most important: The brightness would change constantly. Say at 50% @120hz. the frame is held for 8.33ms and the strobe 4.16ms. If your refresh rate changes, you might have 100hz but still a 4.16ms strobe. The fact that there are 100 pulses compared to 120 a second, the brightness will change. You could hold a frame and measure the time in between and the 2 and then use a 5ms strobe, but this means inputlag as you are holding a frame for 8ms or more.