Stutters and framerate spikes since November 202

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
binodynamic

Stutters and framerate spikes since November 202

Post by binodynamic » 01 Feb 2023, 07:58

Full Specs:
Gigabyte x570 aorus elite wifi
AMD 5800x3d
4090 FE
Adata sx8200 pro 1TB nvme SSD (OS)
Samsung Evo 870 1TB SSD (games)
Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
NZXT Kraken x63 AIO
Corsair Vengeance 32gb 3600mhz cl16
EVGA supernova G6 1000W PSU
Monitor: LG 27GR95QE and MSI MAG274QRX (both 240hz 1440p 27")
Mouse: G pro X superlight
Keyboard: Durgod K320

I started experiencing video stutters in-game, for the first time since building this PC in 2019, on the first week of November, 2022. The only change I made to the PC was upgrading the CPU to 5800x3d from 3700x two weeks before the stutters first occurred. I didn't make any software related changes or done any windows updates after upgrading the CPU. However, on the same day the stutters first occurred I opened the side of the PC to reseat a fan as it was making noises. Although I'd thought I may've damaged the motherboard by causing static discharge I doubted it as I took precautions by touching the metal part of the case prior to reseating the fan. Also I avoided making contact with any metal components of the case in the process.

This is the full list of troubleshooting I've done up until today in chronological order:

-deleted all Nvidia drivers using DDU and reinstalled the drivers while internet was disconnected, twice
-updated chipset drivers
-disabled resizable bar
-disabled Game Bar
-made sure mouse acceleration was off
-made sure all the connections were secure on the motherboard and PSU
-stress tested GPU for 40 minutes on unigine heaven. GPU was stable with max temp of 67 degrees
-stress tested CPU with cinebench for 30 minutes. CPU was at 77 degrees the whole time and clock speeds were stable throughout the test
-stress tested CPU, GPU, and storage drives on aida64 extreme
-disabled XMP on bios
-fresh install of windows 10 using usb
-replaced PSU from EVGA G+ 750 W to EVGA G6 1000 W
-replaced AIO from NZXT x62 to NZXT x63
-replaced ram from 16gb 3600mhz cl 18 to 32gb 3600mhz cl16
-Added SSD for storing games
-replaced GPU from Gigabyte 2070 S gaming OC to 4090 FE
-replaced monitor from mag274qrx to 27gr95qe
-replaced DP cable for monitor
-replaced mouse
-replaced 5800x3d with a new 5800x3d
-reset bios by removing CMOS battery
-updated bios from AGESA 1.2.0.6 to 1.2.0.7
-turned off fTPM in bios
-Another fresh install of windows 10 using usb. This time formatted every drive
-tested health of ssd drives where windows and games were installed
-tested for stuttering with gsync on, NVCP vsync on, ULL on, fps cap in-game at 234 (fps cap on NVCP at 237) on 27GR95QE while other monitor was unplugged with no changed to stuttering.
-tested for stuttering with gsync on, NVCP vsync on, ULL on, fps cap in-game at 234 (fps cap on NVCP at 237) on mag274qrx while other monitor was unplugged with no changes to stuttering
-disabled MPO
-disabled full screen optimization
-updated bios from f37d to f37. Lagging and stutters on desktop right after booting up for the first time post bios update. However, after unplugging the usb drive with the bios update and restarting the PC it wasn’t lagging anymore)
-tested for stuttering with gsync off, NVCP vsync off, ULL on, all fps limiters disabled on 27GR95QE (single monitor setup) After doing so stutters were gone and tearing was hardly noticeable on the games I tested which were Apex Legends, Fortnite, Halo Infinite, Warzone 2, and Destiny 2.
-Once again tested for stutters with gsync on, NVCP vsync on, ULL on, fps cap in-game at 234 (fps cap on NVCP at 237) on 27GR95QE (single monitor setup) resulted in stutters on all the games I listed above.
-Set monitor to 144hz and tested for stutters with gsync on, NVCP vsync on, ULL on, fps cap in-game 138 (fps cap on NVCP 141) on 27GR95QE (single monitor setup) resulted in harsher stutters compared to when monitor was set to 240hz.
-Once again reset CMOS. Also replaced the battery
-formatted every drive and fresh installed windows 10 on Sata SSD to rule out possibility of faulty NVME drive
-used unigine heaven and superposition to stress test GPU. All temps and clock speeds were good.
-GPU thermals and clock speeds were stable on hwinfo and GPUz while experiencing stutters in-game

So far I had the the best results by disabling gsync, vysnc, and all fps limiters. Stutters were basically gone and tearing was minimal. However, yesterday, even on these settings I experienced stuttering that only lasted for the first 10 minutes of gaming. It eventually went away on it's own and the stutters were gone but it was concerning as I'd experienced something similar a few days prior to updating the bios. I was stuttering in-game a lot harder then usual for the first 30 minutes but gradually it got better over time. Also, today, when I booted up my PC I was lagging and stuttering on desktop but it only lasted for a few minutes. I'm starting to think that either a faulty nvme drive, where windows is installed, or a faulty motherboard is causing this.

Edit (February 5, 23):

It turns out turning gsync, vsync, and fps limiters off didn’t improve the stutters after all.
At this point the cause of the stutters have been narrowed down to it being a faulty motherboard or nvme drive.
I ruled out the possibility of it being a faulty nvme drive by formatting every drive and doing a fresh install of windows 10 on the Sata SSD. Also, for the third time, I monitored GPU thermals and clock speeds with hwinfo, GPUz, and Nvidia advanced GPU monitoring overlay while experiencing stutters in-game and it resulted in everything being stable.
At this point it’s pretty much guaranteed that the motherboard is the culprit. Will update after replacing it.
Last edited by binodynamic on 06 Feb 2023, 01:53, edited 10 times in total.

jorimt

Re: Stutters and framerate spikes since November 2022

Post by jorimt » 01 Feb 2023, 10:39

binodynamic wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 07:58
The only change I made to the PC was upgrading the CPU to 5800x3d from 3700x two weeks before the stutters first occurred.
binodynamic wrote:
So far I had the the best results by disabling gsync, vysnc, and all fps limiters. Stutters were basically gone and tearing was minimal. However, yesterday, even on these settings I experienced stuttering that only lasted for the first 10 minutes of gaming.
Thanks for posting the additional info.

I've moved your topic to general because it doesn't seem that G-SYNC is the direct culprit; you're reporting frametime performance is different between it and no-sync on your configuration (which is expected on your or anyone else's configuration), but no-sync is still not ultimately removing all the stutter you claim started after November 2022.

I'll also add here, that the higher the framerate can be sustained at higher refresh rates, and the smoother the performance is (aka G-SYNC/no-tearing), the more obvious any frametime performance issues will be whenever they occur.

I.E. I'm playing the Dead Space remake right now, which inherently stutters due to engine issues currently, and a locked 120 FPS at 240Hz with no sync jitters so consistently (due to the tearing) the more minor frametime spikes get lost in the noise, whereas with tear-free G-SYNC at the same framerate, those same minor spikes stand out like a sore thumb, so I wouldn't rule out the extremely simple reasons either, or at the very least, conflate them with your particular issue. Both can be happening simultaneously.

Anyway, from the info you've provided thus far, if there's anything to your issue, it likely primarily involves the CPU change at this point. A quick search of "5800x3d stutter" returns a lot of results with similar complaints to yours, with many claiming increased stutter after upgrading to that model from an older CPU.

The CPU (+ RAM) is responsible for minimum framerate performance, which can affect the frequency and severity of frametime spikes to a degree.

From my search, the first thing I would have suggested is disabling TMP in the BIOS, but it look like you already ruled that out. I don't assume you have your old CPU to test any longer?

I also assume, to rule out your new monitor, you switched to your old monitor and tested it under the same conditions as well?
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

binodynamic

Post by binodynamic » 01 Feb 2023, 12:47

jorimt wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 10:39
binodynamic wrote:
The only change I made to the PC was upgrading the CPU to 5800x3d from 3700x two weeks before the stutters first occurred.
binodynamic wrote:
So far I had the the best results by disabling gsync, vysnc, and all fps limiters. Stutters were basically gone and tearing was minimal. However, yesterday, even on these settings I experienced stuttering that only lasted for the first 10 minutes of gaming.
Thanks for posting the additional info.

I've moved your topic to general because it doesn't seem that G-SYNC is the direct culprit; you're reporting frametime performance is different between it and no-sync on your configuration (which is expected on your or anyone else's configuration), but no-sync is still not ultimately removing all the stutter you claim started after November 2022.

I'll also add here, that the higher the framerate can be sustained at higher refresh rates, and the smoother the performance is (aka G-SYNC/no-tearing), the more obvious any frametime performance issues will be whenever they occur.

I.E. I'm playing the Dead Space remake right now, which inherently stutters due to engine issues currently, and a locked 120 FPS at 240Hz with no sync jitters so consistently (due to the tearing) the more minor frametime spikes get lost in the noise, whereas with tear-free G-SYNC at the same framerate, those same minor spikes stand out like a sore thumb, so I wouldn't rule out the extremely simple reasons either, or at the very least, conflate them with your particular issue. Both can be happening simultaneously.

Anyway, from the info you've provided thus far, if there's anything to your issue, it likely primarily involves the CPU change at this point. A quick search of "5800x3d stutter" returns a lot of results with similar complaints to yours, with many claiming increased stutter after upgrading to that model from an older CPU.

The CPU (+ RAM) is responsible for minimum framerate performance, which can affect the frequency and severity of frametime spikes to a degree.

From my search, the first thing I would have suggested is disabling TMP in the BIOS, but it look like you already ruled that out. I don't assume you have your old CPU to test any longer?

I also assume, to rule out your new monitor, you switched to your old monitor and tested it under the same conditions as well?
Looks like I spoke too soon regarding no framerate spikes when gsync, vsync, and fps limiter were all turned off. I was experiencing the spikes today on every game I listed, Apex Legends, Halo Infinite, Fortnite, Destiny 2, and Warzone 2.

I did all the testing on my old monitor as well with the new monitor unplugged and the results were the same.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 01 Feb 2023, 13:16

binodynamic wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 12:47
Looks like I spoke too soon regarding no framerate spikes when gsync, vsync, and fps limiter were all turned off. I was experiencing the spikes today on every game I listed, Apex Legends, Halo Infinite, Fortnite, Destiny 2, and Warzone 2.
Yup.

Frametime spike causes are numerous and can come and go from session-to-session since your system is rendering a unique instance of the game simulation each time (and if a game relies on a shader cache, it can purge every once in a while, causing shader-related stutter for the first session or so until the cache is rebuilt again).

Whether yours have truly increased due solely to a CPU change, separate of the expected frametime variances everyone experiences, is the question.
binodynamic wrote:
I did all the testing on my old monitor as well with the new monitor unplugged and the results were the same.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Then the only logical course of action is to discount any changes made AFTER the issues started occurring. According to your OP, the only changes made BEFORE the issues started occurring was the CPU swap. That's where you should focus your attention.

It's entirely plausible (but not necessarily always the case) for a CPU model to negatively affect frametime performance over another model, even if the new model is more capable overall.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Kanipshun

Post by Kanipshun » 02 Feb 2023, 00:55

Did not read everything but I have a question, is windows activated? I had noticed in the past that whenever the "activate windows" watermark shows up on the screen, g sync would not function at all.

binodynamic

Post by binodynamic » 02 Feb 2023, 02:05

jorimt wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 13:16
binodynamic wrote:
Yup.

Frametime spike causes are numerous and can come and go from session-to-session since your system is rendering a unique instance of the game simulation each time (and if a game relies on a shader cache, it can purge every once in a while, causing shader-related stutter for the first session or so until the cache is rebuilt again).

Whether yours have truly increased due solely to a CPU change, separate of the expected frametime variances everyone experiences, is the question.
binodynamic wrote:
Thanks for the confirmation.

Then the only logical course of action is to discount any changes made AFTER the issues started occurring. According to your OP, the only changes made BEFORE the issues started occurring was the CPU swap. That's where you should focus your attention.

It's entirely plausible (but not necessarily always the case) for a CPU model to negatively affect frametime performance over another model, even if the new model is more capable overall.
Just wanted to share what it looks like. You can see the first framerate spike 8 seconds into the video. https://imgur.com/a/mXI1w5c

I had actually replaced the 5800x3d with another 5800x3d but the problem persisted. I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to it being the motherboard. Decided on going Am5 and get the 7800x3d when it’s available.

Once again, thank you for your support!

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 02 Feb 2023, 09:45

binodynamic wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 02:05
I had actually replaced the 5800x3d with another 5800x3d but the problem persisted. I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to it being the motherboard. Decided on going Am5 and get the 7800x3d when it’s available.

Once again, thank you for your support!
Okay noted. Good luck.

binodynamic

Post by binodynamic » 02 Feb 2023, 12:52

Kanipshun wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 00:55
Did not read everything but I have a question, is windows activated? I had noticed in the past that whenever the "activate windows" watermark shows up on the screen, g sync would not function at all.
Windows is activated. Appreciate your input

ontononton

Post by ontononton » 02 Feb 2023, 17:15

hello OP.

Same issue here with a 5800x3d, I stutter mostly in cs go and pubg. Warzone, cyberpunk and gta5 is fine. All games were also fine when it was just a 5800x there :/

binodynamic

Post by binodynamic » 02 Feb 2023, 23:27

ontononton wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 17:15
hello OP.

Same issue here with a 5800x3d, I stutter mostly in cs go and pubg. Warzone, cyberpunk and gta5 is fine. All games were also fine when it was just a 5800x there :/
Unfortunately 7800x3d won’t be out until April so I won’t be able to resolve this until then. Not sure if you had seen it but I decided on swapping over to am5. Will update when I make the change.