scanline sync help; FAO chief blurbusters

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Anonymous893125

scanline sync help; FAO chief blurbusters

Post by Anonymous893125 » 21 Feb 2023, 17:58

https://blurbusters.com/howto-low-lag-vsync-on/
"Better Low-Lag “VSYNC ON” for G-SYNC and FreeSync Monitors"
first of all this is what im referencing.

got a few questions regarding this firstly ;

1.who is this method for is it if im not satisfied with regular v sync and g sync together and want even less input lag than the regular in game or nvcp v sync provides ?

2.when using rtss scanline sync would this then replace my in game or nvcp v sync ?
thus not needing them turned on in game or control panel ,

3.i was told by someone that setting my display hz to 144 when playing a 60hz forced game that it will result in less lag but this isnt true as its forced to 60hz regardless by the game right ?
thank you

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: scanline sync help; FAO chief blurbusters

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Feb 2023, 20:55

Anonymous893125 wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 17:58
1.who is this method for is it if im not satisfied with regular v sync and g sync together and want even less input lag than the regular in game or nvcp v sync provides ?
RTSS Scanline Sync is a more difficult sync techology to tweak.
- It's mainly for people who need framerate=Hz for any reason (e.g. strobing)
- And that you want to low-lag variant of non-VRR VSYNC ON
- You need to have 50% or less GPU usage while running at frameate=Hz

You need to meet (1) and (2) and (3) for Scanline Sync to successfully do "tearingless VSYNC OFF" and be superior. Otherwise, use capped VRR.
Anonymous893125 wrote:
2.when using rtss scanline sync would this then replace my in game or nvcp v sync ?
thus not needing them turned on in game or control panel ,
RTSS Scanline Sync is utilized as a "tearingless VSYNC OFF" technology so you want to disable all hardware and driver based sync technologies (disable VRR and disable VSYNC) in order to use RTSS Scanline Sync as a software-based sync technology.
Anonymous893125 wrote:
3.i was told by someone that setting my display hz to 144 when playing a 60hz forced game that it will result in less lag but this isnt true as its forced to 60hz regardless by the game right ?
Most games will launch at max-Hz (even if capped to 60fps).

If you find a game the truly forces to 60Hz, then you can override the force-60Hz by multiple methods, such as deleting 60Hz modes in ToastyX Custom Resolution, so that your game has no choice but to launch in the only refresh rate available (144Hz).

Now if you set your display Hz to maximum Hz, AND enable VRR, then your "60Hz" becomes "low lag 60fps". Remember not to confuse 60Hz and 60fps. 60fps at 144Hz is low lag.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Anonymous893125

Post by Anonymous893125 » 22 Feb 2023, 06:28

Last edited by Anonymous893125 on 22 Feb 2023, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous893125

Post by Anonymous893125 » 22 Feb 2023, 06:54

thank you for your response i appreciate it , in the link;
, it seems from the way im looking at it, like theyre using vrr along with it, as it says there to" make sure i got a vrr monitor" and also says "a fps of 47 automatically means the monitor is running at 47 hz"- which is typical vrr on behaviour ,
also , one of the main instructions for this section is actually "For games, many work fine in VRR mode by default.
Certain games need you to turn on/off “VSYNC” in the game to trick G-SYNC or FreeSync to work. "
so thats implying that theyre using g sync or vrr along with scanline sync in the instructions, but you said to me
"(disable VRR and disable VSYNC) in order to use RTSS Scanline Sync as a software-based sync technology."

thats where my confusions is, hope you can see from my point of view and can explain to help clear things up

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Feb 2023, 01:27

Anonymous893125 wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 06:54
thank you for your response i appreciate it , in the link;
Low Lag VSYNC HOWTO is mainly for non-VRR displays, and require a small cap-below (e.g. 0.01fps). The Low Lag VSYNC HOWTO is not for VRR displays:

The HOWTO recommends using VRR instead of Low-Lag VSYNC HWOTO. So if you have VRR, the HOWTO tells you to ignore the HOWTO, because VRR is a superior equivalent low lag VSYNC.

For VRR such as G-SYNC, requires a bigger cap-below (e.g. classical 3fps below or modern 3-to-5% below max Hz), and there are other HOWTOs such as www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101

They are not to be used simultaneously. It's a choice between Low-Lag VSYNC (tiny cap-below) OR VRR technique (bigger cap-below) OR RTSS Scanline Sync (completely different instructions).

You will only get confused if you use the word "AND" instead of the "OR". Choose your preferred low-lag "VSYNC ON" clone, don't do all the tips at the same time!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Anonymous893125

Post by Anonymous893125 » 01 Mar 2023, 13:41

ok thank you very much for your help aswell as Jorimt hes been very helpful to me also