VRR flicker on two different Native G-sync monitors??

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
teG

VRR flicker on two different Native G-sync monitors??

Post by teG » 03 Mar 2023, 04:50

I have a native g-sync TN panel 240hz monitor and i get bad vrr flicker in some old games which stutter but the flicker also starts to occur faintly under 60fps in all games. It obviously gets worse the lower the framerate after that.

I thought I would try out an IPS panel as i was told that they dont have this issue as much as the TN panels. again its native g-sync but IPS this time and 360hz. still exactly the same level of VRR flicker.

Is it possible that the 30 series gpu is the issue? or do all of these panels have this issue now?

I used to own an old AOC native gsync panel and it never showed any vrr flicker down to 0fps. either that or gsync never worked on it properly and i didnt notice :D

jorimt

Re: VRR flicker on two different Native G-sync monitors??

Post by jorimt » 03 Mar 2023, 10:41

teG wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 04:50
Could be model, individual unit, and/or scenario-specific. Please share the model numbers of each of the monitors in question, as well as your base system specs, and the game titles and in-game/NVCP/OS settings.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

teG

Post by teG » 04 Mar 2023, 01:44

1 The monitor i use is an "omen x25 240hz 1080p model number 4nk94aa"

2 The monitor I bought to see if it would be any different but returned was a "MSI Oculux NXG253R 24.5" 1080p monitor

3 It happens in all games that have the slightest stalls or starts to flicker subtly at jsut over 50fps with G-sync on.

I have v-sync on in the nvidia panel and off in the games as I think that did make a slight difference but other than that I have tried every single setting I can think of and have left no stone unturned on the software side of things. lowering the monitors hz doesnt make any difference either like it does for some which might suggest that it isnt a monitor issue? I could be wrong.

4. 10900k 3070 32gb ram SSD.

I think I will have to try the monitor on another computer but that would just be a pain as I don't have a second computer. I am wondering if itis worth trying it on the games console as that can be paired with g-sync.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 04 Mar 2023, 10:14

teG wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 01:44
It happens in all games that have the slightest stalls or starts to flicker subtly at jsut over 50fps with G-sync on.
Both models you listed are indeed native G-SYNC (contain modules).

To be clear, native G-SYNC can still flicker, regardless of panel type, but it typically only occurs at very low framerates (<40) before LFC kicks in. This form of flicker is not physically avoidable at low native refresh rates, which is, in part, why some models, especially those with higher physical refresh rates (240Hz+), start LFC earlier. For instance, instead of starting LFC below 36 FPS, it may start it at, say, 60 FPS.

If you and I are talking about the same subtle pulsating brightness flicker at lower framerates, it's possible both models you tried happen to be starting LFC too low, and thus don't avoid this form of flicker within a certain framerate range.

If my description of flicker does not match what you are experiencing, please try to expound on it further.

As for the Omen X25 itself, a quick Google search returns a couple of similar results for "omen x25 flicker." Also make sure you aren't conflating flicker with inversion artifacts:
viewtopic.php?t=6805
teG wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 01:44
I think I will have to try the monitor on another computer but that would just be a pain as I don't have a second computer. I am wondering if itis worth trying it on the games console as that can be paired with g-sync.
If the flicker happens in a certain framerate range, the only way another computer would help, is if it was able to exceed that range and sustain a higher framerate with better frametime performance in the same games.

As for testing on a console, again, if the flicker is framerate-related, that wouldn't change anything either.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

teG

Post by teG » 06 Mar 2023, 21:04

Yes I am talking about the same flickering as you are.
jorimt wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 10:14

in part, why some models, especially those with higher physical refresh rates (240Hz+), start LFC earlier. For instance, instead of starting LFC below 36 FPS, it may start it at, say, 60 FPS.

This makes a lot of sense. I guess people don't buy these monitors to play at lower fps but it would be nice if it worked at the lower end. Although I tried setting the CRU but I don't think it made a difference and I would have thought it would have but I am not an expert on this compared to you guys at least :)

Basically I have to upgrade my computer earlier than what I planned. I will eventually move to 1440p at some point althought I have spent enough on this monitor and playing on a 25" monitor I am not sure if it is worth going to 1440p. Luckily my computer plays all first preson shooting and similar games at min 70-200fps ish at this moment in time so over time I would probably jsut lower the graphics from ultra to save money on

So despite the native gsync monitors being advertised as full vrr from 0-max hz there is still and LFC, that's interesting.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 06 Mar 2023, 22:11

teG wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 21:04
So despite the native gsync monitors being advertised as full vrr from 0-max hz there is still and LFC, that's interesting.
They have since modules started being included at default, it's simply handled by hardware with native G-SYNC displays instead of at the driver-level, like on FreeSync G-SYNC Compatible displays. That's what gives it its "0-max Hz" range capability; a display can only refresh so low physical without blanking out otherwise.

And yes, as a result, hardware LFC is technically more accurate/reliable/stable than software LFC, but it's not always a noticeable difference, especially on the better FreeSync displays. Also, on a similar note, you'll probably have little to no luck trying to manually adjust the LFC range via CRU with the hardware implementation, since it's sort of a black box in that case.

As for the name "LFC," AMD coined that. G-SYNC already had the behavior, but it didn't have an official name at first. I called it MRR (Minimum Refresh Range) in my article before "LFC" started being used more widely.

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 07 Mar 2023, 02:54

What might work better is to set them both to GPU scaling if you haven't already.
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you