BFI + Adaptive-Sync and Nvidia's Low Framerate Compensation

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
rain492

BFI + Adaptive-Sync and Nvidia's Low Framerate Compensation

Post by rain492 » 04 Apr 2023, 17:16

Hi blurbusters, I'm not sure if this is the correct section of the forum for this question, as normally most monitors have to make a choice between BFI and Adaptive-Sync, but I have the VG259QM which is one of the rare monitors that can enable both at the same time.

However enabling ELMB (BFI) on this monitor locks the overdrive to a pretty high value thats perfect for 240-280Hz, but not so much for lower FPS values because overshoot quickly becomes too much, which makes 60, 120 or 144Hz BFI impossible to enjoy. If I leave it at 280Hz at those FPS values, then double imaging is a problem. Even when BFI is disabled and its just adaptive-sync I still have to manually lower the overdrive depending on the FPS range to what the game can achieve to prevent overshoot problems.

So instead of all this pain,I want to use CRU to change my VRR range and force Nvidia's low framerate compensation to artifically keep a high refresh rate. The input lag penalties this may or may not cause is not a concern for me as I plan to use this trick in games that are not so competitive in nature. Mainly I want a CRT style experience in pixel games or stuff like half-life or cs 1.6, but my monitor simply can not do 60Hz or 100Hz BFI without causing massive overshoot, but leaving it at 240Hz BFI instead causes horrible double imaging. This is the problem I'm hoping low framerate compensation may solve for me.

So this is where I need help with. I don't know much of anything about how Nvidia does low framerate compensation. I know its there and I know it works because when I set it the range to 100-280Hz using CRU, it will naturally double my Hz compared to my FPS, but thats practically all I know about the feature.

Any information or advice you might have regarding this topic would be very welcome.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: BFI + Adaptive-Sync and Nvidia's Low Framerate Compensation

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Apr 2023, 21:14

For this -- you may want to use AMD.

As much as NVIDIA's tech is great -- you may want to be aware that NVIDIA's LFC is unfortunately not as editable as AMD's LFC.

The other option is to switch monitors, such as to ASUS' new 240Hz OLED. VRR on an OLED looks nicer than LCD strobed VRR.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

rain492

Post by rain492 » 04 Apr 2023, 22:46

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
04 Apr 2023, 21:14
For this -- you may want to use AMD.

As much as NVIDIA's tech is great -- you may want to be aware that NVIDIA's LFC is unfortunately not as editable as AMD's LFC.

The other option is to switch monitors, such as to ASUS' new 240Hz OLED. VRR on an OLED looks nicer than LCD strobed VRR.
Hey there Chief, first of all, thank you for taking time out of your day to help me. Been lurking around and reading your helpful advice for years at this point.

Unfortunately OLED prices are...not within reason just yet. The 240Hz ones have not even arrived in my region. But I would love to invest in one should they arrive here at a reasonable pricing.

That being said, I certainly can upgrade to an AMD GPU. I was already considering getting one anyways. But I don't fully understand what makes their LFC more workable, do they allow messing with it from their control panel? Or does it just work better with their GPUs?

With Nvidia I had to do it with CRU, but outside of that it does seem to function. Out of curiosity I've tried 140-280 which did mostly solve overshoot woes however I understand this doesn't leave a lot of gap for LFC to work its magic. This is pretty much the only way I know of to get this monitor to do BFI at those lower refresh rates without overshoot or double images, so if I can get results out of this, it might just turn this monitor from ''set to 280Hz and forget'' to something I can actually toy with.

Hudson

Post by Hudson » 13 Sep 2023, 01:13

Hey there! Looks like you got the setup right with your VG259QM monitor. While I’m no expert on Nvidia’s low framerate compensation, it sounds like you’re on the right track with CRU to pull your VRR range. Using different systems is the way to give that CRT-style gaming experience.

If anyone here has more insight or advice to share about low framerate compensation, feel free to chime in! Enjoy your pixel games and nostalgic adventure in Half-Life and CS 1.6.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Nov 2023, 03:40

Another poster just informed me that NVIDIA LFC is MUCH better on 3000/4000 series GPU than the older GTX 1000 series. My experience is consistent.

Camp AMD has superior FreeSync LFC, but Camp NVIDIA seems to have been catching up FreeSync LFC in the newer RTX's.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!