Need ICC profile for VG248QE with G-Sync @ 120Hz

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
lukeman3000

Need ICC profile for VG248QE with G-Sync @ 120Hz

Post by lukeman3000 » 05 Aug 2014, 10:52

I can't seem to find one. Is there one floating around here somewhere on the forums?

Don

Re: Need ICC profile for VG248QE with G-Sync @ 120Hz

Post by Don » 14 Aug 2014, 17:17

I would also love this. Haven't had any luck finding one specifically calibrated for G-Sync on.

IwantGSYNC

Post by IwantGSYNC » 16 Aug 2014, 15:23

As far as I understand, ICC profiles do not work in games (on NV GPUs, AMD added such functionality to the drivers).
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... n-thread-/
After the doing further research, I found that NVIDIA does not control or have any function to control the color settings while playing games in full screen mode. Since, these features are application specific it is controlled via the applications. Therefore, please use the games setup if applicable.
Basically, whoever has custom calibrated colors for their monitors, lose the colors when a fullscreen game is launched; colors are reverted back to their default mode, making the game look rather disgusting. In the past, this was also a problem under desktop, but that has been fixed.

Custom calibrated color profiles are made with hardware devices such as color calibrators, giving the monitor accurate color. Then, this profile is loaded under the OS. But games launched in fullscreen overrides the profile.

PiERiT

Post by PiERiT » 18 Aug 2014, 16:06

ICC profiles work on NVIDIA cards if you force them with 3rd party software like Monitor Calibration Wizard. That's what I'm doing.

Unfortunately, sharing ICC profiles doesn't really work. Every monitor is different. What looks good on mine might look like crap on yours, and different refresh rates produce different colors. If you really want color accuracy, you'll have to purchase a calibration device like a ColorMunki or an X-Rite.

Knowing that, I can upload mine somewhere if you like. PC Monitors also has one in their official review, about half way down the page:

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/asus-vg248qe/

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 19 Aug 2014, 10:48

G-Sync does not affect color vs non-G-Sync so you can use any old VG248QE color profile.
PiERiT wrote:ICC profiles work on NVIDIA cards if you force them with 3rd party software like Monitor Calibration Wizard. That's what I'm doing.

Unfortunately, sharing ICC profiles doesn't really work. Every monitor is different. What looks good on mine might look like crap on yours, and different refresh rates produce different colors. If you really want color accuracy, you'll have to purchase a calibration device like a ColorMunki or an X-Rite.

Knowing that, I can upload mine somewhere if you like. PC Monitors also has one in their official review, about half way down the page:

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/asus-vg248qe/
In my experience, even Monitor Calibration Wizard won't override game color settings. It may be helpful though for resetting the color profile after running a game, because many will change your desktop color settings and I always have to reload the color profile manually.

I'm actually using the color profile from that review and it's the best one I've been able to find. I use monitor adjustments from a different review though and run at 120Hz, not 144Hz. My settings are: 0 brightness, 80 contrast, 95 red, 92 green, 88 blue. As indicated though, these may not be the best settings for every monitor.

The monitor settings can be adjusted with SoftMCCS.