DisplayPort connection reboots computer?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
JackWitherell

DisplayPort connection reboots computer?

Post by JackWitherell » 11 Aug 2014, 02:57

I have three monitors, one of them is a self-modded G-Sync Asus VG248QE monitor (DisplayPort), the other two are Asus VS248s (each connected via DVI).

Today I dusted out my computer, did some cable management, and re-seated my ram. When I first turned on the computer, It looped through post numbers 20-96-62-99. the standard boot cycle, but it kept looping through them. the lights to the right of the 24 pin power connector looped from bottom to top and kept doing it, repeatedly. after i shut it down a few times and kept fiddling with things, swapping out power cables and even swapping the graphics cards, I finally got it to boot and everything works alright.

Except now, my middle G-Sync monitor doesn't work. the entire screen is black, and whenever I disconnect or reconnect the DisplayPort cable from the computer, the other two monitors go black and the computer boots up again. no sounds are made, there's no changing of the fan speed or flashing of any lights, the computer just stops everything and restarts the boot cycle.

I've tried everything from getting rid of dust and re-seating everything, the only thing i'm yet to try is maybe swapping the psu cables around.

I can assure that the graphics cards are connected to the motherboard completely. I even uninstalled all of the NVidia drivers, and the same is occuring. Also, the G-Sync monitor is still recognized as being connected to the computer and showing information on the screen, even the backlight is on, but the screen is just dead black.

I'm using Windows 8.1 Embedded with a Maximus V Formula, 16 GB of Ram, and Two Asus NVidia 660s.

Last thing, Having no graphics cards connected nullifies the issue, yet that's less than optimal. It's also unlikely that I can change this G-Sync monitor back into a standard monitor, but it seems irrelevant since the error still occurs even if the graphics drivers are uninstalled.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: DisplayPort connection reboots computer?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Aug 2014, 04:12

Have you tried testing the GSYNC monitor with another computer? Even a laptop or AMD, running in non-GSYNC mode?

Also, which graphics card are you currently using?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!