GSYNC fps question

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
bunkin

GSYNC fps question

Post by bunkin » 15 Jul 2023, 16:15

GSYNC makes my game look pretty and smooth which is cool.

What's the difference with having GSYNC enabled with capping in game fps at refresh rate of monitor compared to having it uncapped with a lot more fps

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: GSYNC fps question

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jul 2023, 22:15

For those who haven't bought VRR (G-SYNC/FreeSync) monitors yet, just buy more framerate range than VRR range .

Capping is simply a lesser pick-poison for game frame rates that want to go far beyond Hz, which will create the latency-change and-stutter effects as GSYNC switches to VSYNC ON or VSYNC OFF and then back, as framerates tries to go above/below.

esports atheletes need to buy 360-540Hz monitors if they want to use VRR, to skip the capping compromise. Then they can play most esports games in VRR since most won't exceed the frame rates of those ultra high Hz monitors.

Now if you are casual gaming, like Cyberpunk 2077 or Witcher or other games, then capping is simply mostly a quality fix, since you can get sudden latency increases or sudden tearing/stutter appearaces whenever frame rates unexpectedly exit VRR range.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

bunkin

Post by bunkin » 17 Jul 2023, 10:20

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
16 Jul 2023, 22:15
For those who haven't bought VRR (G-SYNC/FreeSync) monitors yet, just buy more framerate range than VRR range .

Capping is simply a lesser pick-poison for game frame rates that want to go far beyond Hz, which will create the latency-change and-stutter effects as GSYNC switches to VSYNC ON or VSYNC OFF and then back, as framerates tries to go above/below.

esports atheletes need to buy 360-540Hz monitors if they want to use VRR, to skip the capping compromise. Then they can play most esports games in VRR since most won't exceed the frame rates of those ultra high Hz monitors.

Now if you are casual gaming, like Cyberpunk 2077 or Witcher or other games, then capping is simply mostly a quality fix, since you can get sudden latency increases or sudden tearing/stutter appearaces whenever frame rates unexpectedly exit VRR range.
cs goes well above 500 at times, if I play with gsync should I leave it uncapped or cap it at 501 where fps won't go above 500..what's the different with gsync on with fps staying at 500 in game or fluctuating higher at times?

Is oc to 500 ok on monitor since it's literally built in on monitor settings instead of default 480, more of a marketing scheme?

Worstylolzs

Post by Worstylolzs » 19 Dec 2023, 08:37

bunkin wrote:
17 Jul 2023, 10:20
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
16 Jul 2023, 22:15

cs goes well above 500 at times, if I play with gsync should I leave it uncapped or cap it at 501 where fps won't go above 500..what's the different with gsync on with fps staying at 500 in game or fluctuating higher at times?

Is oc to 500 ok on monitor since it's literally built in on monitor settings instead of default 480, more of a marketing scheme?

How chief said, you can't go over of your monitor max refresh rate or it will be cause latency issue and over your max refresh rate g-sync will not work, because it work only in your refresh rate range. For more information check
101 g-sync guide. https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... settings/2

Second question is for some single thread in my opinion you talk about model aw2524h, what have function to overclock to 500hz from 480hz. Idk how to answer, but how I said, for this question will be good have new thread.