G-SYNC flickering issue

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
bambu_

G-SYNC flickering issue

Post by bambu_ » 26 Jul 2023, 16:00

Hi, I recently bought a G-SYNC Compatible monitor (LG27GP850-B) and was trying out the adaptive sync feature. The problem I have is that I constantly run into some flickering issues. When openning certain apps and alt-tabbing the screen goes black for a moment and then turns back on.

The best example I can give is everytime I open the GeForce Experience app the screen always goes black just after I launch it or whenever I get the app back into focus. Talking about fullscreen apps like games, they work perfectly, with no flickering.

Example: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jYwgek ... drive_link

I have been searching for a solution for a few days but I am getting nowhere. My assumption is that, as the monitor is G-SYNC Compatible it works within a range of fps, and, when launching certain apps I think the frames drop bellow the minimun fps of the G-SYNC which causes the flickering.

My question is, is this normal? I have G-SYNC only enabled for fullscreen apps yet it flickers with windowed apps. It is not the end of the world, it only happens for ~2 secs and only for specific apps but it is a bit anoying. Disabling G-SYNC solves the issue but I would like to have in on.

Specs / Settings:
- Windows 11 fresh install.
- NVIDIA RTX 3070
- NVIDIA driver 536.67 (latest)
- G-SYNC is ON and set to only work for fullscreen only. Still the issue apears on windowed apps.

I have tried the following:
- Disabled MPO (still flickers)
- Increasing the fps range using the "Extended" mode the monitor has (still flickers)
- Changing the refresh rate to 165, 144, 120 and 60 (still flickers)
- Rolling back the NVIDIA drivers as far as I could (still flickers)
- Trying to force an app to not use G-SYNC using the NVIDIA Control Panel (the app still flickers)
- Disabling G-SYNC (solves the issue)