Is forced V-Sync on Wayland really a problem with G-Sync? (Linux)

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
PacketAuditor

Is forced V-Sync on Wayland really a problem with G-Sync? (Linux)

Post by PacketAuditor » 27 Jul 2023, 09:11

I use G-Sync + V-Sync + frame cap normally on Windows.

Is V-Sync being forced on Wayland really a problem then? Is V-Sync from the compositor equivalent to enabling V-Sync in NVCP on Windows?

I am trying to figure out if with the upcoming 545 Nvidia driver (when multi-monitor G-Sync will be fixed on Wayland) if it will be equivalant to a Windows experience.

Thanks!

jorimt

Re: Is forced V-Sync on Wayland really a problem with G-Sync? (Linux)

Post by jorimt » 27 Jul 2023, 09:47

PacketAuditor wrote:
27 Jul 2023, 09:11
Is V-Sync from the compositor equivalent to enabling V-Sync in NVCP on Windows?
G-SYNC only uses V-SYNC's VBLANK signal adherence to ensure the tearline is steered offscreen at all times when the framerate is within the refresh rate, regardless of what double buffer method you use, so if Wayland's method is functioning and is of the double buffer variety, it should be fine for use with G-SYNC.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

PacketAuditor

Post by PacketAuditor » 27 Jul 2023, 11:18

jorimt wrote:
27 Jul 2023, 09:47
PacketAuditor wrote:
Is V-Sync from the compositor equivalent to enabling V-Sync in NVCP on Windows?
G-SYNC only uses V-SYNC's VBLANK signal adherence to ensure the tearline is steered offscreen at all times when the framerate is within the refresh rate, regardless of what double buffer method you use, so if Wayland's method is functioning and is of the double buffer variety, it should be fine for use with G-SYNC.
So if the Wayland compositor (KWin) is using triple buffering it will not provide good latency results? I'm not sure what method it uses or if you can modify it (ChatGPT says triple buffering), or if another compositor might be better (Weston?).

Sorry, I am just starting out with Linux and just want to have an equivalant VRR experience to Windows.
Last edited by PacketAuditor on 27 Jul 2023, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 27 Jul 2023, 11:24

PacketAuditor wrote:
27 Jul 2023, 11:18
So if the Wayland compositor (KWin) is using triple buffering it will not provide good latency results?
Triple buffer will still work to prevent tearing, but could potentially add extra latency/issues due to its extra buffer (G-SYNC operation is natively double buffer).
PacketAuditor wrote:
27 Jul 2023, 11:18
Sorry, I am just starting out with Linux and just want to have an equivalant VRR experience to Windows.
I have zero Linux experience, so can't help you there.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

PacketAuditor

Post by PacketAuditor » 27 Jul 2023, 11:26

jorimt wrote:
27 Jul 2023, 11:24

Triple buffer will still work to prevent tearing, but could potentially add extra latency/issues due to its extra buffer (G-SYNC operation is natively double buffer).

I have zero Linux experience, so can't help you there.
Thanks for the info, it's a big help!

Hopefully a Linux user might be able to give me some more insight.

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 27 Jul 2023, 11:47

PacketAuditor wrote:
I use G-Sync + V-Sync + frame cap normally on Windows.

Is V-Sync being forced on Wayland really a problem then? Is V-Sync from the compositor equivalent to enabling V-Sync in NVCP on Windows?

I am trying to figure out if with the upcoming 545 Nvidia driver (when multi-monitor G-Sync will be fixed on Wayland) if it will be equivalant to a Windows experience.

Thanks!
I recently became a massive Linux nerd and on my quest to figure things out on that platform, I have found several resources that say kwin/kde plasma in general has the option now to disable and allow tearing to occur (thus no vsync) though, there is more to the story found here:
https://zamundaaa.github.io/wayland/202 ... yland.html

As proven here:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/927

and I can see this option within my Arch build with KDE Plasma/kwin.
So no, not anymore. I mostly played on a laptop from work to mess around with things within the OS and found it barely to affect me as a latency sensitive person in general.
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you

PacketAuditor

Post by PacketAuditor » 27 Jul 2023, 11:52

Kyouki wrote:
27 Jul 2023, 11:47
I recently became a massive Linux nerd and on my quest to figure things out on that platform, I have found several resources that say kwin/kde plasma in general has the option now to disable and allow tearing to occur (thus no vsync) though, there is more to the story found here:

As proven here:

So no, not anymore. I mostly played on a laptop from work to mess around with things within the OS and found it barely to affect me as a latency sensitive person in general.
I do want V-Sync so that I can use G-Sync "as intended" and according to the blurbusters guide (G-Sync + V-Sync + frame cap).

Do you know if the KWin V-Sync + G-Sync will function the same as NVCP V-Sync + G-Sync in Windows? And if not, can I just disable V-Sync in the compositor like you said is now possible, and then enable V-Sync in NVCP on Linux to achieve the optimal configuration?

THANKS! <3

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 28 Jul 2023, 07:10

PacketAuditor wrote:
27 Jul 2023, 11:52
Kyouki wrote:
27 Jul 2023, 11:47

As proven here:

I do want V-Sync so that I can use G-Sync "as intended" and according to the blurbusters guide (G-Sync + V-Sync + frame cap).

Do you know if the KWin V-Sync + G-Sync will function the same as NVCP V-Sync + G-Sync in Windows? And if not, can I just disable V-Sync in the compositor like you said is now possible, and then enable V-Sync in NVCP on Linux to achieve the optimal configuration?

THANKS! <3
Not using Nvidia card to tell you that, sorry. Laptop is equipped with AMD APU.

But i'd guess so, yes since the mechanics are in the display mode + telling the display what to do.

I don't know though.
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you