Any "G-Sync Compatible" vs "G-Sync" inputlag tests?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Yukai

Any "G-Sync Compatible" vs "G-Sync" inputlag tests?

Post by Yukai » 21 Aug 2023, 08:46

Hiya

So I'm getting either Asus AQDM or AQN (240hz OLED vs 360hz IPS)

When I first found out about G-Sync -- I fell in love with it, got 180hz TN G-Sync Module panel for competitive and never regretted it.

I'm not pro anymore so I'm considering 240hz OLED. Actually despite the ULMB 2 and extra frames with AQN I really do wanna try OLED.
Still I want to perform at my highest while using G-Sync (with all the settings, reflex fps capped) and "G-Sync Compatible" inputlag or flickers people talk about would be a dealbreaker for me.

Is there any lag/delay tests on "G-Sync (Module)" vs "G-Sync Compatible"? Any info on OLED G-Sync? Any advices?

jorimt

Re: Any "G-Sync Compatible" vs "G-Sync" inputlag tests?

Post by jorimt » 21 Aug 2023, 12:12

Yukai wrote:
21 Aug 2023, 08:46
Is there any lag/delay tests on "G-Sync (Module)" vs "G-Sync Compatible"?
Each monitor usually has different levels of total processing and GtG performance "latency," separate of any G-SYNC native vs. G-SYNC Compatible differences, so to get a like-for-like comparison, you'd have to test two identical displays on the same system, just with one display having a module and the other not, and that's typically not the case; even if they have the same panel and are from the same manufacturer, monitor firmware between models and system drivers/driver implementation will still differ.

I.E. total latency is entirely relative. You can really only consistently compare a setup against itself where latency is concerned.

Anyway, there shouldn't be any discernible latency differences solely between G-SYNC native and compatible operation that I'm aware of, so it would be down to other factors.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)