Dilemma: overdrive or not (mixed use at different refresh rates and overshoot)

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
maxolina

Dilemma: overdrive or not (mixed use at different refresh rates and overshoot)

Post by maxolina » 04 Sep 2023, 09:10

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum.

I have a little dilemma and I don't know which choice is better, I would like to understand the technology and the science better in order to take the "more correct" decision.

My monitor (KTC H27T22, 165Hz IPS 1440P) has four different overdrive settings (off, low, mid, high). According to two different reviews, the low setting is already very strong and offers great response times at 165hz with little to no overshoot, but a lot of overshoot for anything below the native refresh rate, becoming extremely noticeable under 100hz. (https://youtu.be/zXeOjYRPj08?si=MKTOz7IJiNaZ0baZ&t=463 and https://www.techpowerup.com/review/ktc-h27t22/)

As my GPU isn't as modern as the monitor (GTX 1660 Ti), and is struggling a little at 1440p, I often find myself in the 40-70fps range in most games I play right now. In addition, I notice that around 55hz LFC starts to kick in.

Here are my questions:

1. It is my understanding that without overdrive I am seeing the panel's native performance. Is this necessarily a bad thing? Does it also have a negative effect on regular desktop browsing, which happens at 165hz, or is it just bad if I were to game at 165hz?

2. As I often game at around 55-110hz (considering LFC), will it be less of a problem to use the panel's native performance, or would I still benefit from overdrive in terms of motion clarity? (let's ignore overshoot for a moment)

3. Would I benefit from setting the monitor to 120hz max in windows? Would this make the "off" overdrive less of a problem?
This could cause problems with LFC, as the range is now barely 2x min to max (55hz-120hz), right? (I think I read this on this forum)

4. Or should I edit the VRR range and increase the minimum refresh rate from around 55hz to 75 or 80hz? (keeping 165hz max in windows) This would mean that most of my games are now always played with LFC, which allows me to use the "Low" overdrive setting with minimal overshoot problems.

Any help is greatly appreciated!