G-Sync SLI, ROG Swift PG278Q questions

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
sammy134

G-Sync SLI, ROG Swift PG278Q questions

Post by sammy134 » 17 Aug 2014, 17:28

Hello Community, I've been a new enthusiast in the market and after some research and waiting, I have a rough idea of what I want. I am looking to get the 880 when it comes out. But I still fear that one 880 will not be enough for this resolution and the fps that I want. I want that constant 120 frames so that I don't have to use g-sync and turn on ULMB mode on the monitor. If I can't have that, I will obvs have to resort to g-sync and than I guess I can deal with 100 - 144 frames, but still prefer the high frames.

This is where my question comes in. The only forum post I could find that was related to my question was:
http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=207

Is SLI still glitched with g-sync (August)? The games I am going to be running are not easy to run as path of exile and I know that I will not achieve my constant perfect fps with one card, and I need a second card but I don't know what to do if this SLI is still glitched.

Thanks for reading, I hope I explained my worry/question properly. If you need clarification with anything just let me know, I will try to explain it better since english is not my first language.

sharknice

Re: G-Sync SLI, ROG Swift PG278Q questions

Post by sharknice » 17 Aug 2014, 17:34

GSYNC SLI works now for me, so you should be okay.

sammy134

Post by sammy134 » 17 Aug 2014, 17:45

sharknice wrote:GSYNC SLI works now for me, so you should be okay.
Thank you for the reply! helps me allot!

karl

Post by karl » 21 Aug 2014, 06:07

I have this monitor and 2x780 cards playing BF4 still hitting 90 fps on ultra ..

If you are playing games like CSS or CS GO then you will get good fps all ways on the highest settings and have frames locked to 120 to use ULMB ,And have that fast clear update when moving ..The image is all most like looking at a none moving image that's how clear it can appear ..But for me I only play Battlefield 4 ,I tried out ULMB and I have to say it amazing I love that its all most like using a CTR again but hate the stutter and the screen tearing that comes when using it ,i no that you can set frameahead and triple buffer + Vsync to help out but i still feel input lag .. For me Gsync all the way I like smoothness more then having a clearer sharper image update on screen from fast moving ...

Bishi

Post by Bishi » 24 Aug 2014, 04:18

Yep I'm using PG278Q in BF4 and other games, zero problems with SLI (780 GTX) on Win 8.1

Neo_Bogard

Post by Neo_Bogard » 31 Aug 2014, 14:41

I'm seeing a lot of chatter on other forums concerning SLI issues with G-Sync. The one thing I keep hearing, that really f'n scares me: "G-sync stutters on SLI." Is this for real? Smoothing out my jittery high frame rate experience was my entire motive for purchasing the ROG Swift. My monitor is backordered. Am I overreacting? Do we have any confidence that these issues will get properly sorted. I don't really have the budget to add another GPU purchase to this upgrade.

If it's "not as smooth" as a single card, then g-sync isn't really working as advertised (on SLI).

Asmodian

Post by Asmodian » 01 Sep 2014, 01:44

I have SLI Titans and a PG278Q. G-sync + SLI has more stutter than G-sync without SLI but less than anything without G-sync. It took me a while to notice it but after testing at very low frame rates (~35 fps) it suddenly became very obvious to me in Tomb Raider and now I can see it even at higher frame rates. At 100+ Hz the only way I notice it is more apparent motion blur as the stutter is too small to notice/feel.

I don't think the issue is so much that G-sync and SLI don't get along but more the same old problem with SLI, it is hard to have each GPU start and finish its task at exactly the right times (and have decent SLI scaling). This means that the amount of time the game engine ran for and the amount of time a frame is displayed for gets out of sync. Or said another way: frames are displayed for a different amount of time than the amount of motion they represent. This leads to apparent ghosting and motion blur as frames come early or late and your eyes track the average motion. My theory is that G-sync is simply smooth enough you can notice "bad SLI" more than you can with a constant refresh rate but I have been unable to prove it to myself.

Testing the feel of G-sync vs No V-sync at 100+ fps G-sync feels slightly smoother to me but at 35 fps No V-sync (144 Hz) feels smoother but tears badly. The stutter at 35 fps really hurts both without G-sync and with G-sync and SLI. With G-sync and a single card 35 fps is simply slow with a lot of motion blur but feels smooth. I have tried Tomb Raider, Watch Dogs, and Mass Effect 3, all with a similar effect, though it is very minor in Mass Effect 3 due to the constant 144 fps (I could be imagining it but motion blur seems lower). There could be a bug with G-sync and SLI as I am not sure how to explain the results at 35 fps, but at 100+ fps G-sync with SLI feels better than V-sync or no V-sync with SLI, at least to me but I hate tearing. It is hard for me to judge the stutter without v-sync at 144Hz with SLI. I am interested if anyone else has tried to compare G-sync SLI vs no v-sync SLI?

However, G-sync without SLI feels even better and at the same frame rate motion blur appears lower with SLI off. :(

Neo_Bogard

Post by Neo_Bogard » 02 Sep 2014, 21:22

Asmodian wrote:Testing the feel of G-sync vs No V-sync at 100+ fps G-sync feels slightly smoother to me but at 35 fps No V-sync (144 Hz) feels smoother but tears badly. The stutter at 35 fps really hurts both without G-sync and with G-sync and SLI. With G-sync and a single card 35 fps is simply slow with a lot of motion blur but feels smooth. I have tried Tomb Raider, Watch Dogs, and Mass Effect 3, all with a similar effect, though it is very minor in Mass Effect 3 due to the constant 144 fps (I could be imagining it but motion blur seems lower). There could be a bug with G-sync and SLI as I am not sure how to explain the results at 35 fps, but at 100+ fps G-sync with SLI feels better than V-sync or no V-sync with SLI, at least to me but I hate tearing. It is hard for me to judge the stutter without v-sync at 144Hz with SLI. I am interested if anyone else has tried to compare G-sync SLI vs no v-sync SLI?
100fps @ 144hz would still look pretty decent.. so even a little "jutter" is a bit disappointing. Did you try the drivers posted over on the Overclockers.com thread?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1509599/offi ... t_22788489

I am skeptical, but I'd love to hear your impressions.

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 03 Sep 2014, 16:27

Wow, and back when AMD was still struggling with microstutter issues, NVIDIA was so proud of SLI's superiority in the frame rating department

Sent from dumphone (pls. excuse typos and dumbness)

ZTylerDurden

Post by ZTylerDurden » 04 Sep 2014, 21:49

Can someone try this out? I took it from overclock.net:

Originally Posted by rc12 View Post

Guys this is probably a pixel clock issue.

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa ... ck-Patcher

I've been running this to run 120 Hz SLI Titans with my Overlord monitor for a year now. It's working with my Swift as well. You'd think Nvidia would have fixed this prior to the release of this monitor.