Is it possible that the G-SYNC module from my monitor is bugged ?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Akso

Is it possible that the G-SYNC module from my monitor is bugged ?

Post by Akso » 18 Oct 2023, 16:20

Hi everyone,

Lastly I was playing around with my new Asus PG27AQDM monitor (OLED 240hz).
What is strange to me is that, when I cap my FPS, enable V-SYNC, enable fullscreen only G-SYNC and enable the Adaptive Sync option on both of my monitor OSD, there is a clear night and day difference in fluidity perceived.
Let me explain.
My second monitor is an Acer Predator XB273UGX 1440p 240hz IPS monitor.
When I play games on it with the options listed above, its butterfly smooth, no jiggering, no stuttering, its not choppy at all. 144 fps feels as much as fast as 240 fps.
But when I'm playing on my new Asus monitor, Jesus Christ, when my FPS drops in the same game around the 140-180fps area my game feels so stuttery and choppy, its crazy.
I've already disable other plausible variables like two monitors plugged bug, overheating, back application bugs and stuff like this.
I've tested the same game (Warzone), same map, same option, just on different monitor.

What is making me thinking that my Asus monitor is faulty, is that on the monitor's OSD it is showing the changes in Hz that the monitor is doing with G-Sync. Checking with MSI afterburner and in-game FPS counter shows to me that the monitor is not properly syncing at the same framerate as my game is running. Like Warzone is running at 180 fps, monitor OSD will show me refresh rate hovering between 180, 160, 229, 240, 150. Its bizarre and I don't know if its a normal behaviour from my monitor. Firmware is up to date. Tried resetting and multiple G-SYNC settings, even running the monitor alone without the second one.

G-Sync bugged ? OLED normal behaviour ?

With many thanks.

Akso

Re: Is it possible that the G-SYNC module from my monitor is bugged ?

Post by Akso » 18 Oct 2023, 16:23

I want to add that on my NVCP on the G-SYNC section, my Acer monitor is showing (G-SYNC Compatible) under his name but not the Asus monitor, which is strange since both has the same Adaptive Sync module.

jorimt

Re: Is it possible that the G-SYNC module from my monitor is bugged ?

Post by jorimt » 18 Oct 2023, 16:34

Akso wrote:
18 Oct 2023, 16:20
What is making me thinking that my Asus monitor is faulty, is that on the monitor's OSD it is showing the changes in Hz that the monitor is doing with G-Sync. Checking with MSI afterburner and in-game FPS counter shows to me that the monitor is not properly syncing at the same framerate as my game is running. Like Warzone is running at 180 fps, monitor OSD will show me refresh rate hovering between 180, 160, 229, 240, 150. Its bizarre and I don't know if its a normal behaviour from my monitor.
It's normal; those meters are approximated, they average differently than system-side readouts, and sometimes include LFC multiples, so that, at least, is not a sign your monitor is faulty. Said monitor meters are only really useful for determining whether VRR is currently engaged; static = not engaged, fluctuating = engaged.

I've already told you in your other thread the only thing I can think you are describing is OLED judder based solely on your descriptions, or maybe LFC triggers too early or late at default.

I'd have to experience it in person to say anything further, and that's not gonna happen, so the only choices you really have at this point are to 1) exchange it for a replacement to rule out whether it's your particular unit or just the model, and/or 2) contact support if you're outside the return period.
Akso wrote:
18 Oct 2023, 16:23
I want to add that on my NVCP on the G-SYNC section, my Acer monitor is showing (G-SYNC Compatible) under his name but not the Asus monitor, which is strange since both has the same Adaptive Sync module.
I re-checked, and neither of your monitor models actually have a G-SYNC module; they're both FreeSync displays with G-SYNC Compatible (software-level VRR) support.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)