Strange behavior when G-Sync ON

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Adam Jensen

Strange behavior when G-Sync ON

Post by Adam Jensen » 01 Nov 2023, 06:06

Hi all,

I have a Millenium MD49DQHD 49 inch Freesync monitor and i'm looking for a solution for a problem i have with it. It’s a 120hz Freesync Display, that work great excpet that when i activate the G-Sync compatibility with display specific settings it’s lock my frame rate to 117 fps and induce flickering. But when i dont tick display specific setting it dont activate gsync and my fps are not capped.
It was working well before, but i tried to create a custom resolution via NVCP at 117hz (to be sure to be on Freesync Range) and since that i have this bug.

I tried to DDU + Clean driver installation, Nvidia Custom Resolution Remover and even Fresh installation of windows 11 but it don’t a come back as before.

I also noticed that when i “OC” my monitor to for exemple 124hz, Gsync is enabled (gsync logo on top right in game), i don’t have any flickering but it dont feel like gsync on, it feels like gsync off. But most imporantly there is also the -3fps in game : in this case im locked to 121fps.
I precise that i don’t have any FPS Capping setting in NVCP or somewhere else. I tried everything but it don’t work.

I hope i gave you enough informations.

Thank you in advance for your reply !

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Strange behavior when G-Sync ON

Post by RealNC » 01 Nov 2023, 06:34

"Ultra" low latency mode (in NVCP) will automatically cap slightly lower than max Hz with g-sync. I believe nvidia reflex (in-game) will also do that.

It's normal and reduces input lag by quite a lot. If you don't want it, disable reflex (if the game uses reflex, that is) and also change the "low latency mode" from "ultra" to "on" in the NVCP.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Adam Jensen

Post by Adam Jensen » 01 Nov 2023, 11:22

Thank you for your quick reply,

I just tried without Ultra Mode and even on Off and there is still the frame limitation ?
What do you think that can be ?
Could my manipulation with the custom resolution have caused the graphics card to bug?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 01 Nov 2023, 11:42

Adam Jensen wrote:
01 Nov 2023, 06:06
i tried to create a custom resolution via NVCP at 117hz (to be sure to be on Freesync Range)
That's not how the G-SYNC range works; the physical refresh rate is your VRR "ceiling," which determines the -3 FPS limit you need to set. I.E. if your physical refresh rate is 117Hz, you then need to have the framerate at least 3 frames below that (~114 FPS) to keep G-SYNC active.

In other words, you should never lower your maximum physical refresh rate with G-SYNC, only your framerate limit.
Adam Jensen wrote:
01 Nov 2023, 06:06
I tried to DDU + Clean driver installation, Nvidia Custom Resolution Remover and even Fresh installation of windows 11 but it don’t a come back as before.
Have you tried installing CRU and then running its "reset-all.exe?"
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Adam Jensen

Post by Adam Jensen » 01 Nov 2023, 12:01

Oh ok i didn't know about that, if I had known I wouldn't have touched anything :(

For CRU and reset-all.exe, i done it several times and didn't change anything to this problem

Also other information : before, when it worked well, when not ticking " G-sync display specific settings" the G-sync worked normally without any issues.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 01 Nov 2023, 16:50

Adam Jensen wrote:
01 Nov 2023, 12:01
So to confirm, this is what you've attempted thus far after making a custom resolution you claimed caused the issues:

1. Disabled LLM and Reflex.
2. Used DDU.
3. Used Nvidia Custom Resolution Remover.
4. Did a Windows 11 reinstall.
5. Did a CRU reset.

That rules out a lot. All I can suggest at this point is to factory reset your monitor, and if it has an adaptive sync or FreeSync option in its OSD, you should ensure it's enabled along with the G-SYNC settings in the NVCP (including the "Enable settings for the selected display model" checkbox, where present).

If you're still experiencing your issue after that, I really have no other suggestions.

Could be your monitor model (which is a relatively obscure brand, probably with only partial VRR support) and/or the Nvidia driver version combined with your monitor and GPU model. Hard to say.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

TheKelz

Post by TheKelz » 05 Nov 2023, 08:25

jorimt wrote:
01 Nov 2023, 16:50
Adam Jensen wrote:
01 Nov 2023, 12:01
So to confirm, this is what you've attempted thus far after making a custom resolution you claimed caused the issues:

1. Disabled LLM and Reflex.
2. Used DDU.
3. Used Nvidia Custom Resolution Remover.
4. Did a Windows 11 reinstall.
5. Did a CRU reset.

That rules out a lot. All I can suggest at this point is to factory reset your monitor, and if it has an adaptive sync or FreeSync option in its OSD, you should ensure it's enabled along with the G-SYNC settings in the NVCP (including the "Enable settings for the selected display model" checkbox, where present).

If you're still experiencing your issue after that, I really have no other suggestions.

Could be your monitor model (which is a relatively obscure brand, probably with only partial VRR support) and/or the Nvidia driver version combined with your monitor and GPU model. Hard to say.
Is there any difference between checking "Enable settings for the selected display model" on or off? For me, G-Sync is on even without this specific checkbox.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 05 Nov 2023, 10:09

TheKelz wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 08:25
Is there any difference between checking "Enable settings for the selected display model" on or off? For me, G-Sync is on even without this specific checkbox.
I'm just going off official Nvidia recommendations, which says to tick that box when using a G-SYNC Compatible FreeSync display. Whether ticking the box affects VRR functionality in any way is probably down to the given FreeSync model.