Gsync & stutting mouse cursor

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
karl

Gsync & stutting mouse cursor

Post by karl » 22 Aug 2014, 13:55

Hi there guys I have the Asus ROG Swift PG278Q ...

Would there be any reason as to why I would or should be getting mouse stuttering when Gsync is enabled ? I play Battlefield 4 and i noticed in the menu after a match that the mouse would stutter across the screen when moving I have it set to 1000 poll . So I went and downloaded the G-SYNC Pendulum Demo Configuration from there Nvidia website and ran that and found that I all so get the same problem in that when Gsync is enabled ,Switching from no Vsync mouse moves smooth across the screen ,Vsync On mouse moves smooth across the screen , Gsync On mouse stutters across the screen ? ... I have all so notice that this is making the game feel unsmooth at times when playing all most like its stuttering as well and its starting to give me a bad headache from it . So its not a mouse problem as i have three mice here that i have test two of which are Zowie FK & FK1 all so the Sensei pro ...

Any help would be appreciated

gzboli

Re: Gsync & stutting mouse cursor

Post by gzboli » 22 Aug 2014, 22:57

When Gsync is active your monitor only refreshes when the game/gpu has finished rendering the frame. If you are only getting 40 fps then your mouse cursor will only update at 40 fps.

I don't know the specifics of non-Gsync refreshes, but it works approximately like this: The game/gpu can be producing 40 fps but the gpu can send new images with an updated mouse cursor position at your monitor's refresh rate (144?).

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 22 Aug 2014, 23:05

gzboli wrote:I don't know the specifics of non-Gsync refreshes, but it works approximately like this: The game/gpu can be producing 40 fps but the gpu can send new images with an updated mouse cursor position at your monitor's refresh rate (144?).
The GPU always sends images at the monitor's refresh rate (which can be the same image multiple times.) The mouse cursor though is not always rendered by the game, but sometimes directly by the GPU. This is true for "hardware mouse cursors". Not all games use such cursors though. Some games render the cursor themselves. With those games, the cursor would stutter too. BF seems to use a hardware cursor instead, which never stutters.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

karl

Post by karl » 23 Aug 2014, 03:09

RealNC wrote:BF seems to use a hardware cursor instead, which never stutters.
Hi guys thanks for replying ....

BF4 is the game that I am getting the mouse stuttering in the menu ,But you are saying "which never stutters" ...May I ask do you have a Gsync and all so do you play BF4 and confirm that there is no stuttering with your mouse cursor with gsync in the menu please ?.

Thanks again ..

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 23 Aug 2014, 04:16

karl wrote:

BF4 is the game that I am getting the mouse stuttering in the menu ,But you are saying "which never stutters" ...May I ask do you have a Gsync and all so do you play BF4 and confirm that there is no stuttering with your mouse cursor with gsync in the menu please ?.

Thanks again ..
What I meant was that it never stutters without gsync. Even if the game would run at 30FPS, if a hardware cursor is used, it will be updated at the monitor refresh rate. In games that use a software cursor, the cursor will stutter if the game runs too slow, regardless of whether gsync is used or not.

With gsync, however, if you get 30FPS, then even a hardware cursor will stutter, since the monitor runs at 30Hz and therefore the cursor can only be updated 30 times per second.

Short answer: there is nothing you can do about it.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

karl

Post by karl » 23 Aug 2014, 05:07

RealNC wrote:
karl wrote:

Thanks again ..
What I meant was that it never stutters without gsync. Even if the game would run at 30FPS, if a hardware cursor is used, it will be updated at the monitor refresh rate. In games that use a software cursor, the cursor will stutter if the game runs too slow, regardless of whether gsync is used or not.

With gsync, however, if you get 30FPS, then even a hardware cursor will stutter, since the monitor runs at 30Hz and therefore the cursor can only be updated 30 times per second.

Short answer: there is nothing you can do about it.
Ah Okay :D

So do you think there is some thing that could be fix by the game with a patch to keep it over 30 fps when in the menu ?

Thanks for replying .

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 23 Aug 2014, 10:24

karl wrote:So do you think there is some thing that could be fix by the game with a patch to keep it over 30 fps when in the menu ?
Many games have a 30FPS frame limiter in their menus in order not to put stress on CPU and GPU while on the menu. In order to fix this, the game would need to be patched to remove the limiter, or use a higher cap (like maybe 60FPS.)

The only game I'm aware of that allows you to change the framecap while on the menus, is CS:GO (using the console command "fps_max_menu".)

Games are not taking G-Sync into account yet, so this will probably still happen for some time yet, until variable refresh monitors become the norm.

karl

Post by karl » 23 Aug 2014, 13:57

Yes lets hope soon :D

Thanks man for your reply's