Screen flickers at some HZ value

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
carsar1

Screen flickers at some HZ value

Post by carsar1 » 22 Dec 2023, 13:04

I have a very cheap noname 1440p 144hz monitor (SUN-M27BA108) which support VRR.
I can turn on gsync throuh vcidia control panel and see what VRR actually work.
But there is a problem - at some hz values (random constant value in range of 90-110hz) screen starts to flicker(full screen blanks or right part of screen blanks) and frameskip.
phpBB [video]

[Mod - Edited to fix VIDEO url]

you can see this bug in this video, constant 105fps-105hz causes flickering.
Also flickering occures at constant 53fps/105hz.

If I turn on 120hz mode, screen will be flickering at 90hz.
If I overclock monitor to 155hz it will flicker at 65 and 130fps.
When I make custom 90hz resolution - VRR works withput any problems.
At 110hz mode(through custom resolution) I see weird bug -frames' displacement( some frames renders in wrong place)

I ve tried to change vrr range - no luck.
I ve reinstalled drivers with ddu - no luck.
Only 90hz is fully playble mode.

Any suggestion what;s wrong with my system (monitor> cable . os. gpu)?
Any suggestions to fix this?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Screen flickers at some HZ value

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Dec 2023, 15:37

Seems the monitor is indeed defective (especially if only half the screen flickers erratically)

Monitor is always incomplete info when it comes to VRR troubleshoots. May you mention the GPU and the driver version -- some older GPUs/drivers also have issues; When rapid entry/exit of LFC is the cause of the flicker -- but not always.

But when this type of flicker is involved, there can be a bug involved. Try another trick; create a custom resolution using a slightly lower refresh rate (e.g. 140Hz), separate from the 144Hz. After using ToastyX CRU, don't forget to reboot (or run restar64.exe) every time you do a range-edit or new custom resolution, for best results.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!