Doubts/questions about NVIDIA control panel settings

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
hitmanboy47

Doubts/questions about NVIDIA control panel settings

Post by hitmanboy47 » 04 Jan 2024, 07:28

Hello to the entire blurbusters community.

I have a 144hz compatible gsync monitor with internal adaptive sync selected to off and with internal response time selected to fast.

Windows 10 configuration:

Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling: OFF
Variable refresh rate: ON

Speaking only of Singleplayer video games I have some doubts/questions, all issues regarding underperforming hardware are excluded:

1) If I understand correctly the GSync ON + VSync ON option is the safest and can be considered global but not totally free of possible tearing effects. Also with this combination there are no fluidity problems if I can't reach 144 FPS. Right?

2) Adding a frame limit to the previous configuration that is 3 lower than the monitor's refresh rate guarantees an elimination of tearing but the limit value must also take into consideration how many fps the pc can actually generate for the video game. Right?

3) The low latency mode is interesting even if it is limited to games that do not use Vulkan and Directx 12, but since it is not guaranteed to work properly globally it is better not to activate it from the Nvidia control panel. Right?

4) We know that there are old games that due to engine or programming limitations cannot go beyond certain fps. How should I deal with the NVIDIA control panel settings? Will I use the G-SYNC ON + VSYNC ON + 30 FPS Limit option?

I apologize in advance if these questions have been asked before.

Greetings,
hitmanboy47

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Doubts/questions about NVIDIA control panel settings

Post by RealNC » 04 Jan 2024, 10:11

hitmanboy47 wrote:
04 Jan 2024, 07:28
I have a 144hz compatible gsync monitor with internal adaptive sync selected to off
Shouldn't this be set to ON if you want g-sync to work?
1) If I understand correctly the GSync ON + VSync ON option is the safest and can be considered global but not totally free of possible tearing effects.
Gsync ON + vsync ON is totally free of any tearing. Gsync ON + vsync OFF might have tearing sometimes.
Also with this combination there are no fluidity problems if I can't reach 144 FPS. Right?
Right. Unless the monitor itself doesn't do VRR very well, or the GPU driver's support for this monitor isn't very good.
2) Adding a frame limit to the previous configuration that is 3 lower than the monitor's refresh rate guarantees an elimination of tearing
That's already guaranteed in the gsync ON + vsync ON case.
but the limit value must also take into consideration how many fps the pc can actually generate for the video game. Right?
No. That's only needed if you want more frame rate consistency when playing the game. For example if you don't like it when a game runs at 90FPS in some areas and with 140FPS in others, you might apply a 100FPS to limit the variability to 10FPS instead of 50FPS.
3) The low latency mode is interesting even if it is limited to games that do not use Vulkan and Directx 12, but since it is not guaranteed to work properly globally it is better not to activate it from the Nvidia control panel. Right?
It either works or doesn't. So it's fine to just enable it. For games where it doesn't work, it won't hurt either.
4) We know that there are old games that due to engine or programming limitations cannot go beyond certain fps. How should I deal with the NVIDIA control panel settings? Will I use the G-SYNC ON + VSYNC ON + 30 FPS Limit option?
If the game itself is capping its frame rate, then there's no reason to apply an nvcp cap. Unless the game's cap is too unstable and has too much variability (resulting in jittery motion). In that case, you can try and make it smoother with an nvcp FPS cap.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

hitmanboy47

Re: Doubts/questions about NVIDIA control panel settings

Post by hitmanboy47 » 04 Jan 2024, 11:24

I didn't think I was so ignorant, all these years I thought I had gsync on just because I saw that from the NVIDIA control panel the checkmark on gsync was turned on.

I had no idea that I had to enable it from the monitor as well.

What to say? You never stop learning.

I thank you for your patience and detailed answers RealNC.

Greetings.