G-Sync Compatible VRR range and LFC in LG 27GP850

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
combine54

G-Sync Compatible VRR range and LFC in LG 27GP850

Post by combine54 » 31 Jan 2024, 12:39

Hi all,

I have LG 27GP850 monitor. VRR enabled in G-Sync Compatible mode for both Windowed and Full-screen applications, VRR range set to Extended mode, since I'm using built-in OC to 180Hz. V-Sync = Off. VRR overlay via monitor OSD and via plugin for RTSS.

While playing a 60FPS capped game (Elden Ring) and a CPU-heavy game (Guild Wars 2), I've noticed, that LFC kicks in way sooner than I expected it to - the moment FPS goes below 60. This behavior is confirmed by NVIDIA G-Sync certified list.

What bothers me so much, is why is this a problem with NV GPUs, but not an issue with AMD GPUs? Free-sync certified list states 48-165 via DP.
With 7900XTX, that I've borrowed from a friend, the monitor is able to go down to 53Hz before enabling LFC, which does seem much more reasonable and closer to advertised 48Hz hard cap for VRRmin.

Is there anything I can do to get the same behavior as on AMD GPU?

Thanks in advance and apologies if this has been answered before - my search queries didn't bring me to an answer.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: G-Sync Compatible VRR range and LFC in LG 27GP850

Post by RealNC » 31 Jan 2024, 13:00

Does it matter? Meaning, do you see any stutter or anything?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

combine54

Re: G-Sync Compatible VRR range and LFC in LG 27GP850

Post by combine54 » 31 Jan 2024, 13:15

I think I've noticed some slight visual stutter, which is not present on RTSS frametime graph overlay, but I didn't do high FPS recordings yet to make a definite confirmation.
I also didn't do extensive visual testing on AMD GPU - since I only borrowed it for an hour to verify the VRR behavior in 48-60 range under the same conditions.