G-sync TN vs CRT for games with locked frame rates <60fps

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Nocta

G-sync TN vs CRT for games with locked frame rates <60fps

Post by Nocta » 02 Sep 2014, 08:15

Hello there,

I'm wondering what will perform best when playing games that have a locked frame rate inferior at 60fps (let say around 30 but stable - thank you PS2/Xbox ports...).
On one side there is the good old CRTs (better colors and no blur but double-edge motion effect with those games) and on the other the new G-sync technology (perfect framerate synchronization but bad colors -TN- and blur).

Has anyone tried and is able to give me an opinion on this specific case?
Because outside of the variable framerate case, this technology could be useful to "save" those poor devil's games!

Thanks in advance.

Haste

Re: G-sync TN vs CRT for games with locked frame rates <60fp

Post by Haste » 02 Sep 2014, 09:41

Hello,

The experience will be horrible whether you use a CRT or a G-sync panel.

On the CRT you'll get several refresh per frame, giving ugly, disturbing multiple image artifacts.

On current G-sync monitors available, a 30th of a second is the absolute minimum at which the module will synchronize the gpu and the monitor. You're flirting with the limit of the panel capabilities. On top of that you'll get 33 milliseconds of motion blurring. Which is a lot.

In any case 30 images per second even perfectly synchronized is such a mediocre experience. It feels more like a blurry power-point slideshow than an actual game.

Game studios that put frame-caps at 30fps shouldn't get your money in the first place.
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

Nocta

Post by Nocta » 02 Sep 2014, 10:58

Thank you for your answer Haste.
I agree with you on the low-quality of such experience and the shame on the developers of such games.

BUT I still love to play some games that are part of my "childhood" and a lot of them are from the 2000s (ports from PS2/Xbox) so I'm kind of f***. :x
And the worst is that even some new games have such troubles and other than that they are good (ex: Dark Souls 2) so it's a real pity to miss on them.

My real question is then: how to make it look the least bad! :D
Haste wrote:On current G-sync monitors available, a 30th of a second is the absolute minimum at which the module will synchronize the gpu and the monitor. You're flirting with the limit of the panel capabilities. On top of that you'll get 33 milliseconds of motion blurring. Which is a lot.
Can you explain that last part about the 33 milliseconds of motion blurring? How do you get this number?
I'm not sure I understand but I'm sure I want to know. :)

Haste

Post by Haste » 02 Sep 2014, 12:27

If you really need to pick, I think your best bet would be to go with an LCD for such games. Because of the multiple image artifact you would get on a CRT.

On sample and hold displays such as LCD without motion blur reduction:
At 30 frames per second, you get:
33ms of motion blurring perceived when tracking moving objects. Or to visualize it better, 33.3 pixels of blur perceived when eye tracking an object moving at 1000 pixels per second.

1000/framerate = amount of motion blur perceived in milliseconds. = number of blurry pixels perceived when tracking an object moving at 1000 pixels/second

So in this case: 1000/30 = 33ms
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

Nocta

Post by Nocta » 02 Sep 2014, 12:45

Thanks again Haste. ;)