Quick question on G-SYNC with older cards

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
edwst

Quick question on G-SYNC with older cards

Post by edwst » 02 Apr 2024, 19:59

I'm looking to upgrade my 60hz monitor. Right now I'm using a 980ti, and from what I read the cheaper "G-SYNC compatible" monitors are only supported for the 10-series and better. That means my card can't take advantage of freesync/the tech on these cheaper 144hz monitors, and in order to get smooth gameplay at 144hz I would have to save up a bit more and get an actual G-SYNC monitor. Is my thinking correct here?

Thanks in advance.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Quick question on G-SYNC with older cards

Post by RealNC » 04 Apr 2024, 09:50

edwst wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 19:59
Right now I'm using a 980ti, and from what I read the cheaper "G-SYNC compatible" monitors are only supported for the 10-series and better.
That is correct. You won't be able to activate g-sync unless the display has a g-sync module in it. On the plus side though, native g-sync displays always seemed to behave better during FPS fluctuations with less stutter and less ghosting.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.