EDIT* Fixed halo Infinites VRR issue.

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Gamesager

EDIT* Fixed halo Infinites VRR issue.

Post by Gamesager » 04 Apr 2024, 15:36

So using gsync in halo infinite, and every single type of frame cap causes stutter. In game, all 4 rtss options and nvcp all will make the game stutter at whatever cap you set, and will cause your frames to tear at the bottom. Not sure if this happens in all games or is a halo thing. Vsync on top will just make the stutters worse because it’ll be the whole frame and not just the tear.

So was wondering if anyone knows a way to soft cap, sort of the way front edge sync says it will let more frames build, but a lot larger, where maybe it’ll slow down the render rate as it approaches the cap rather than hard stopping it? Idk trying to think of a way to fix this.

I figured it out btw for anyone looking to fix halos VRR problem
Go to C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\HaloInfinite\Settings And open the speccontrolsettings file. Change your MINIMUM FPS to the gsync recommended cap, uncap your frame rate. Then in game, raise your render resolution until the game can hardly get you to your frame target. For my 240 hz, I have it at 237 now. This stops the game from ever hitting a cap and stuttering, but also if your render resolution is high enough it wont ever actually hit your hz. Might need a little bit of breathing room if you want to guarantee it never tears but this is even smoother than gsync + vsync was since that would stutter nonstop.
Last edited by Gamesager on 10 Apr 2024, 16:03, edited 2 times in total.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Are there any soft fps limiters?

Post by RealNC » 05 Apr 2024, 05:01

Try disabling all external FPS limiters, disable in-game vsync, force nvidia panel vsync, and use the in-game FPS limiter.

If that won't help, nothing will :P
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 05 Apr 2024, 08:19

Gamesager wrote:
04 Apr 2024, 15:36
So using gsync in halo infinite, and every single type of frame cap causes stutter.
Simple rule is if a game stutters with G-SYNC, V-SYNC and FPS limiters disabled, it will still stutter with any combination of them enabled, so the question is it still stuttering for you with all of the aforementioned disabled?

Stutter is primarily caused by one or more frames taking longer than your target average to render and/or display, and that's going to ultimately happen due to one thing or another in virtually every game you play, regardless of configuration.

I played Infinite on release, and it certainly wasn't stutter-free, G-SYNC, V-SYNC, FPS limiter, or no.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Gamesager

Post by Gamesager » 09 Apr 2024, 01:51

jorimt wrote:
05 Apr 2024, 08:19
Gamesager wrote:
04 Apr 2024, 15:36
So using gsync in halo infinite, and every single type of frame cap causes stutter.
Simple rule is if a game stutters with G-SYNC, V-SYNC and FPS limiters disabled, it will still stutter with any combination of them enabled, so the question is it still stuttering for you with all of the aforementioned disabled?

Stutter is primarily caused by one or more frames taking longer than your target average to render and/or display, and that's going to ultimately happen due to one thing or another in virtually every game you play, regardless of configuration.

I played Infinite on release, and it certainly wasn't stutter-free, G-SYNC, V-SYNC, FPS limiter, or no.
It can be completely stutter free in a local game, like academy. Gsync works, scanline sync works, etc. But if you go into a custom with bots or a mm game, scanline sync no longer seems to work, and gsync tears at the bottom, gsync +nvcp vsync or in game vsync is tear free but microstutters every frame.
If I cap to sub 180 fps I can have perfectly smooth gsync but it’s because there’s enough room for my 240 hz to compensate for the stutters I think.
Been trying everything to fix this but no luck.
And yeah the in game limiter is even worse.
It seems it happens no matter what if the frame limit is hit, if I increase render rate to naturally stay below hz, and have no frame cap, that can also remove the stutter but just doesn’t feel as good to play on.