G-sync Auto Enable

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
SIDWULF

G-sync Auto Enable

Post by SIDWULF » 06 Sep 2014, 12:36

I have pre-ordered the BenQ XL2420G
http://gaming.benq.com/gaming-monitor/xl2420g

I want to use some of the features in bold below while in G-sync Mode. unfortunately I'm not sure that is even possible...Read below for the difference between "Classic Mode" and "G-sync Mode":
BenQ Proprietary Classic Mode
Tap into Unlimited Potentials of Total Maneuverability
For those in favor of perfect motion gaming that can be tailored to match their gameplay preferences, the Classic Mode offers a wide array of customizable settings, from Motion Blur Reduction to Gaming Refresh Rate Optimization Management (GROM), Black eQualizer, Display Pilot, Smart Scaling, S Switch, and Game Mode Loader. The mode also features BenQ’s exclusive Gaming-comfort Flicker-free Technology and Low Blue Light modes to help protect your eyes from computer-related discomfort. In essence, it’s a total package solution for agile performance, precise control, intuitive user experience and eye comfort. What’s more, with this mode, you can be sure to get the best gaming experience for games unsupported by the G-SYNC Mode.

NVIDIA-Powered G-SYNC Mode
Sway Your Enemies with Game-changing Smoothness
By synchronizing the XL2420G’s display refresh rates to the GPU in a GeForce GTX-powered PC, the G-SYNC Mode enables images to appear instantly the moment they are rendered. The low latency effectively eliminates screen tearing, and minimizes display stutter and input lag – frame rate artifacts commonly seen in high-motion gaming. Ultra Low Motion Blur (ULMB) is also at your disposal to smooth the way for a near-zero motion blur performance. Ultimately, with NVIDIA’s G-SYNC technology, an unprecedented buttery smooth, ultra-responsive gameplay to victory is all you’ll get.
Is this explaining that G-sync mode has none of the features Classic mode has? :(

If not can you set G-sync to auto enable through nVidia control panel when launching a game?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: G-sync Auto Enable

Post by RealNC » 06 Sep 2014, 13:48

SIDWULF wrote:If not can you set G-sync to auto enable through nVidia control panel when launching a game?
That's actually the only way to use G-Sync. You have to enable it in the nvidia panel and then select it in the game profile settings as an alternative to vsync.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

SIDWULF

Post by SIDWULF » 06 Sep 2014, 15:28

Thanks for the reply

Why must I enable G-Sync in the nvidia panel first? Why can't I just set it in the game profile settings so it enables when you start a game?

And also, am I right about the panel not having any of the features in bold while in G-Sync mode?

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 06 Sep 2014, 15:40

SIDWULF wrote:Thanks for the reply

Why must I enable G-Sync in the nvidia panel first? Why can't I just set it in the game profile settings so it enables when you start a game?

And also, am I right about the panel not having any of the features in bold while in G-Sync mode?
For GSYNC to work you have to enable it by checking the 'enable g-sync' box in the nvidia options. In the manage 3D settings under global settings you can set everything to use g-sync and every full-screen application will use it unless you override it in the nvidia program settings. If you didn't want every game to do it you can turn it off in the global settings and manually set it in the program settings.

I don't know about the second question.

SIDWULF

Post by SIDWULF » 06 Sep 2014, 15:46

Do I have to manually disable G-Sync in the nVidia Control Panel (not game profile) every time I exit a game so I can use the features in bold with the monitor? If G-Sync is enabled in the control panel is my monitor now in Classic Mode or G-Sync mode? Do i switch cables to get each mode? Is it an option in the OSD? What is it like on your G-sync monitor? Or is this all totally unrelated? The marketing dribble written for the majority (Ignorant infintile majority) and fanatic press release does not explain how this works and I might cancel my order if I can't use some of these features with G-Sync enabled.

Thanks!!!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 06 Sep 2014, 16:11

SIDWULF wrote:Do I have to manually disable G-Sync in the nVidia Control Panel (not game profile) every time I exit a game so I can use the features in bold with the monitor?
G-Sync doesn't work when you exit the game. So no. You don't have to disable it, since the desktop cannot use G-Sync even if you wanted to.

The g-sync setting are the same as any other profile setting. You set it globally, or for every game specifically. Just like v-sync or anti-aliasing.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

SIDWULF

Post by SIDWULF » 06 Sep 2014, 18:12

Okay this is sounding better...but what does the option to "Enable G-Sync" in the nVidia control panel do then? (Not the global/game profile)

Does it put the monitor into "G-Sync" mode when "Enable G-Sync" checked? Or does my monitor stay in "Classic" mode when "Enable G-Sync" is checked until I launch a game?

Thanks again

applejack

Post by applejack » 06 Sep 2014, 21:09

^ the latter. enabling it only allows using it as configured in 3d settings...
also, you can not enable both G-sync and 3DVision at the same time, regardless if they active (game) or not (desktop).

SIDWULF

Post by SIDWULF » 07 Sep 2014, 02:33

applejack wrote:^ the latter. enabling it only allows using it as configured in 3d settings...
also, you can not enable both G-sync and 3DVision at the same time, regardless if they active (game) or not (desktop).
Ah, thank you so very much =)