Arkham Origins Stuttering

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
ZTylerDurden

Arkham Origins Stuttering

Post by ZTylerDurden » 10 Sep 2014, 22:22

Hi guys,

I'm still getting stuttering when playing Akrham Origins with Gsync enabled. When gliding into new areas, it stutters. It's probably due to texture loading. Nevertheless, people raved about this game playing very smoothly. I'm playing on a single titan.

Can someone let me know whether they experience stuttering when gliding around? This was something I thought gsync tech would address.

Haste

Re: Arkham Origins Stuttering

Post by Haste » 10 Sep 2014, 22:31

I don't have Arkham Origins to test.
But if the game engine has stutters, G-sync won't magically fix it.
I'm sorry if the marketing and hype got you to expect it would.
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 10 Sep 2014, 22:32

These stutters are the result of 0FPS on texture loading. No technology can ever fix stuttering when the engine hits 0FPS due to complete stalling :-P G-Sync *only* fixes FPS fluctuation stutter, *not* frame rate stalls.

An example of what G-Sync helps with: You're playing a game where if you look towards a busy scene you get 50FPS while looking the other direction where not much is happening you get 90FPS.

An example of what G-Sync *doesn't* help with: The game's rendering stops while loading new assets from RAM or disk.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Haste

Post by Haste » 10 Sep 2014, 22:34

Oh right, these are loading stutters, not engine stutters. But like RealNC said, these can't be fixed.
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

ZTylerDurden

Post by ZTylerDurden » 10 Sep 2014, 22:49

RealNC wrote:These stutters are the result of 0FPS on texture loading. No technology can ever fix stuttering when the engine hits 0FPS due to complete stalling :-P G-Sync *only* fixes FPS fluctuation stutter, *not* frame rate stalls.

An example of what G-Sync helps with: You're playing a game where if you look towards a busy scene you get 50FPS while looking the other direction where not much is happening you get 90FPS.

An example of what G-Sync *doesn't* help with: The game's rendering stops while loading new assets from RAM or disk.
The stuttering is even more prominent with these stalls and gsync enabled. Bummer.

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 11 Sep 2014, 04:45

ZTylerDurden wrote:The stuttering is even more prominent with these stalls and gsync enabled. Bummer.
That's because with g-sync there is less latency, so there are no buffered frames to give you when the engine stalls, like there would be with vsync.

A lot of these console games are designed in mind for a 60hz half refresh vsync, which gives you 30 fps by default. With that, you're sitting shielded behind quite a large frame buffer and the stuttering is still there, if you're looking for it

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 11 Sep 2014, 05:16

Specifically in this game (and not in the previous ones), I get stuttering unless the game runs at 60fps and 60Hz. 120fps at 120Hz? Stuttering. 80fps at 80Hz? Stuttering. 60fps per eye in 3D? It's fine.

I wasn't talking about gliding around and making things load. I meant simply moving the camera standing still.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

ZTylerDurden

Post by ZTylerDurden » 12 Sep 2014, 15:52

Just a quick update here guys. It was PhysX making both games choppy. All is good now with much less stuttering due to texture loading.

gridironcpj

Post by gridironcpj » 19 Sep 2014, 21:40

Once again, a poorly optimized game cannot be saved by G-sync. It's a rough life for enthusiasts chasing a stutter-free world.