Getting idea of "feel" of G-Sync on your 120hz screen [good]

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Dustmuffins

Getting idea of "feel" of G-Sync on your 120hz screen [good]

Post by Dustmuffins » 07 Jan 2014, 00:35

For those of you that are interested in feeling what looks like/feels like in gaming, and seeing first hand the difference that it will make with respect to frame synchronization and smoothness, I've devised a bit of a small demonstration so you can see the difference in action before getting your hands on the actual gsync kits and monitors.

Things you need:
  1. A 120hz monitor. (VG248QE can be run in 120hz no problem)
  2. A game with in-game framerate limiting console commands (preferred) or a framerate limiting utility(msi Afterburner, Nvidia Inspector, etc...)
  3. The ability to run your preferred game above 70 fps for the whole duration of the demo.
CS:GO and BF4 Test Range are excellent places to run these tests. Use the console command "fps_max XX" in CS:GO or "gametime.maxvariablefps XX" in BF4. XX is the number of FPS you want to limit to.

You will want to load up the game with vsync and triple buffering forced on. Ensure that your refresh rate is at 120hz and are putting out at least 70 fps constantly in the place where you’re going to perform the demo.

Now, open the console and limit your fps to 60. (press tilde (~) and type in the console command to limit the fps)

Smoothly pan the camera left and right and observe how smooth the motion is. This is perfect 1:2 harmonics. This is as good as 60 fps can possibly look and feel. Every single frame is displayed on the monitor for the same amount of time. There is 1 frame for every 2 refreshes.

Now, try bumping the fps limit up to 67 and smoothly pan the camera left and right some more. Pay particular attention to dark trees against bright sky, or dark doorways on bright buildings. You will notice at certain panning speeds that DESPITE THE HIGHER FPS, your turning speed will appear to “shudder” a little bit and be less smooth than 60. This is caused by the fact that there isn’t a set number of refreshes for each frame.

In order to fit in 67 frames into 120 refreshes, most of the frames will take 2 refreshes, but some will take 1. In each frame you are panning the same amount, but some are only displayed for half as long as the others. This will lead to the jerky movement. This is what Gsync fixes. Rendering 67 fps? You have to fit it into 67 refreshes. It will be perfectly smooth.

A little more on harmonics...

There are more harmonic framerates where the motion will smooth out perfectly than just 60@ 120hz. The easiest way to find them would be to divide the refresh rate by an integer. (120/2)=60 fps for perfect 1:2 motion. (120/3)=40 fps for perfect 1:3 motion, etc.

I run my monitor at 144hz, therefore my harmonic framerates are 72, 48, 36, 24… so on and so forth. Because 72 fps is a harmonic framerate, it is smoother than 80 fps. If a game is hardware intensive and spends most of its time below ~110 fps, I’ll limit the framerate to 72 to preserve as much motion fluidity as I can. If you have a VG248QE and play a particular game between 60-90 fps, I'd recommend limiting your fps to 72 for that game as well.
Last edited by Dustmuffins on 07 Jan 2014, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Getting an idea of the "feel" of G-Sync on your 120hz sc

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jan 2014, 00:39

Good write up; and good job in learning how to embed TestUFO animations!
(Our forum is the only one on the Internet with embedded motion tests!)

P.S. To other readers make sure you're using a stutter-free 120Hz-friendly web browser to view these animations without stutter interference from the browser, preferably running on a 120Hz monitor. This in order to view these demo animations accurately. Google Chrome tends to work best, running with Windows Aero enabled, and running on the primary monitor only. Slower computers, slower GPU's, and mobile browsers will likely be unable to animate multiple TestUFO animations simultaneously in a smooth manner.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Dustmuffins

Post by Dustmuffins » 07 Jan 2014, 15:05

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Good write up; and good job in learning how to embed TestUFO animations!
(Our forum is the only one on the Internet with embedded motion tests!)
I just quoted one of your posts and entered some words I thought would work :P

Do you have a list of the available embedded animations and how to use them?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jan 2014, 15:30

Dustmuffins wrote:Do you have a list of the available embedded animations and how to use them?
Pretty much all of them. I just created new instructions:
HOWTO: Embed TestUFO Animations in Blur Busters Forums Posts.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!