Anyway to replicate Low Blue Light mode on Asus Swift? [Yes]

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
n1catastrophe

Anyway to replicate Low Blue Light mode on Asus Swift? [Yes]

Post by n1catastrophe » 16 Sep 2014, 07:16

I suffer migraines on and off and I bought the BenQ XL-Z series. Played on the 24 inch then returned for the 27 inch. I ended up playing through Dark Souls 2 completely 2.5 times over a few weeks. Headache free the whole time (besides getting wrecked by bosses). I had the low blue light mode on 5. I don't know if it just happened during one of my 'downtime' phases where I don't get them for a few weeks or if the monitor truly helped.

Fast forward a few days after that and now I am on my Asus Swift. This morning is the 3rd or 4th headache I felt coming on this past week. Is there anyway to truly replicate the low blue light mode on BenQ's offering or should I just wait for the BenQ G Sync that is coming...sometime...at some point...

Edmond

Re: Anyway to replicate Low Blue Light mode on Asus Swift?

Post by Edmond » 16 Sep 2014, 12:42

https://justgetflux.com/

It does its low blur light mode when its night time by default. But i set it to do its thing during the day time too.

You can also make your screen a little less blue during the day and a lot less blue during night time. Youll figure it out.
This software is an absolute godsend.

Nocta

Post by Nocta » 17 Sep 2014, 14:51

Interesting, I use flux for office work at night but never dared to use it for games.
I was afraid to screw the art and color design of the game.

Is it that much more comfortable to play with it enabled at night?
Do you tend to get used to the color shift so it feels good in-game?

Sorry for the questions but I'm far from my gaming rig for the moment and quite interested by this. :)

flood

Post by flood » 17 Sep 2014, 15:45

try lowering the backlight, increasing the ambient lighting, and sitting further away.

personally I'd rather lower the overall display luminance than only reduce the blues as flux and "low blue light" do.

from my 2 minutes of research, the factor that affects melatonin levels (which is what disrupts the circadian rhythm. not sure about headaches/eyestrain) is the total amount of blue light one is exposed to, not the ratio of blue to green/red light. though granted, keeping the blue level fixed and raising the green level will cause one's pupils to contract resulting in less blue light, but I'm not sure how significant this effect is at typical monitor luminances.

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 18 Sep 2014, 03:15

Nocta wrote:Is it that much more comfortable to play with it enabled at night?
In my opinion its incredibly more comfortable to play at night with flux enabled. You notice when it changes to night mode, but 1 min after you are used to it and your eyes thank you. I dont notice even that because i have it enabled during the day too, just less powerful than its night mode.

I dont suggest messing around with monitor setting trying to replicate anything. Youll just waste a lot of time and nerves and not really get any results anyway... or create more problems for yourself. Just get flux.

Nocta

Post by Nocta » 18 Sep 2014, 05:46

Thanks Edmond, I'll try that pretty soon. ;)

boniek

Post by boniek » 18 Sep 2014, 07:04

Why not simply set it to warm color preset? Or custom with blue reduced to ones taste.
i7 3770
16 GB RAM
GTX 670 2GB
ROG SWIFT PG278Q

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Sep 2014, 16:32

You can do Low Blue Light mode, by using Custom Color Temperature in the ROG Swift on-screen menus -- and lowering the Blue channel.

Color -> Color Temp -> User Mode -> B -> Lower the value.
When you do this, you might want to lower G very slightly, to "curve" off the color spectrum a bit better.

R = 100
G = 90
B = 70

Or

R = 100
G = 80
B = 60

Or

R = 100
G = 75
B = 50

Works great on the ROG PG278Q, as an equivalent of Low Blue Light mode without using software.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!