G-Sync. Cant tell if its working or not.

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
rahulahl

G-Sync. Cant tell if its working or not.

Post by rahulahl » 26 Sep 2014, 19:38

Hi guys,
Just making this thread to hopefully get some more info on G-Sync.
I have GTX 980 with Asus Rog Swift.
First of all the ULMB works just fine, even if I find the color change annoying so I wouldnt use it.
Its the G-Sync that is giving me issues. I cant seem to tell if its on or not. The amber light on the monitor is on signalling that it is on.
But I cant see any difference in games at all.

Does G-Sync actually do anything else except remove the tearing? I was under the impression that it is supposed to remove micro-stutters as well. Or at least reduce them, making lower frame rates playable.
But I have tried a few games and so far, I cant tell when its on and when its not.

Crysis 3 with everything maxed except AA runs at about 45 FPS. I thought since its between 30-60 FPS, I would surely see a big difference in stuttering. But its still the same with or without G-Sync.

I even tried turning down my monitor to 60Hz, but that's just an unplayable mess for some reason. I see jittery stuff everywhere.
I could have sworn that it was not the case when I got the monitor first. But either something is wrong, or I have fallen prey to the smoothness of 144 Hz and going back to 60 just makes it glaringly obvious.

The G-Sync pendulum demo seems like its not even even doing anything at 144Hz, but at 60Hz, I can tell its working properly.
Does G-Sync even make any difference at 144Hz? or am I forever live without experiencing this "buttery smooth gameplay" that everyone is talking about?

P.S I do know how to enable G-Sync. That is not the issue. Its just that when its on, I cant seem to tell much difference.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: G-Sync. Cant tell if its working or not.

Post by RealNC » 26 Sep 2014, 20:58

rahulahl wrote:But I have tried a few games and so far, I cant tell when its on and when its not.
Here's how you can tell. Set a frame rate cap of 57FPS in a game, enable V-Sync, and use a 60Hz mode. Play a bit. Notice the input lag and the stutter every second or so.

Now keep the 57FPS frame rate cap, but enable G-Sync instead of V-Sync. Do you still see stutter every second, and is there still input lag?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

flood

Post by flood » 26 Sep 2014, 22:11

do you notice the lack of tearing?

rahulahl

Post by rahulahl » 26 Sep 2014, 23:14

Okay, I just tried counter strike GO capped at 57 FPS.
When in Full Screen mode to enable G-Sync it wasent too bad. In windowed mode, to enable V-Sync, it was horrible.
Then just to compare it, I increased my monitor to 144 Hz, and at that point, G-Sync was still better, but not by too much.

So, the way I see it, G-Sync is working as it should, but I am just not seeing the buttery smoothness, since I usually game at higher FPS and with 144Hz. G-Sync isnt good enough for me to turn on eye candy in games if it means that my FPS lowers to sub 60 FPS. It is certainly an improvement, but not quite good enough to notice at higher Hz. That said, I will probably still leave it on, since there can be some cases, where it is helpful. Just not too many of them in the type of games I play.

And no, there was no tearing in either mode.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 27 Sep 2014, 07:38

Windowed mode goes through the desktop compositor, which is awful. And also, it's ALWAYS vsynced, even if you disabled vsync.

You need to compare fullscreen only.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

whitestar

Post by whitestar » 27 Sep 2014, 10:29

Not sure if you have already done this, but someone over at Anandtech had issues when he first got the monitor. He resolved them by:
1. Reinstalling video drivers after he had installed the monitor.
2. Restarting each game after changing settings.

Whole post here: http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.ph ... tcount=523

mello

Post by mello » 27 Sep 2014, 13:19

rahulahl wrote: Does G-Sync even make any difference at 144Hz? or am I forever live without experiencing this "buttery smooth gameplay" that everyone is talking about?
Most people that are talking about "buttery smooth gameplay" with G-Sync are people that switched from 60Hz to 144Hz+G-Sync. And they tend to address that this great smooth experience is thanks to G-Sync, where in fact its 144Hz+G-Sync. If you are running games at high fps (110-144 or 120-144) and if you already owned 144Hz monitor, then G-Sync will not impress you. Yes, it removes tearing, which is great, but smoothnes is improved only a little bit when running games at high fps. But when the game you are playing has fluctuating fps at higher range (60-144, 80-144) then you will be very impressed in what G-Sync can do.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 27 Sep 2014, 18:01

If you press the menu button on the monitor it tells you if GSYNC is enabled.

The biggest difference is in games that you can't constantly max out the frame rate, but I can easily tell the difference between no VSYNC and GSYNC in a game even when both are running at 144 fps. There is no reason to disable it unless you're turning on ULMB.

CoMa

Post by CoMa » 04 Oct 2014, 20:52

Yes but when i play wolfenstein with g-sync and 60 fps capped i have a very big blur effect, with a regular 60hz monitor this blur doesn't happen.
The problem is a 144 hz monitor is bad at 60 hz compared to a native 60 hz monitor.