G-Sync/High Refresh Rate Issues with OpenGL Games

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
masterotaku

Re: G-Sync/High Refresh Rate Issues with OpenGL Games

Post by masterotaku » 16 Oct 2014, 12:04

Doom 3 (non BFG Edition) is capped at 62.5fps (unless you disable some setting that maks the game go faster or slower depending on fps). I play the game at 62.5Hz with blur reduction and it's perfect. Zero stutters. At 60Hz, even having 60fps, the game is internally updating at 62.5fps, that's where the stuttering comes from.
The same happens in some Bethesda games, like Fallout New Vegas (64Hz in this case, and no fps limit). Thankfully there are mods for these Bethesda games.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 16 Oct 2014, 14:45

masterotaku wrote:Doom 3 (non BFG Edition) is capped at 62.5fps (unless you disable some setting that maks the game go faster or slower depending on fps).
This shouldn't apply to gsync though. Only vsync.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

GameLifter

Post by GameLifter » 17 Oct 2014, 14:08

What's weird is that the red light doesn't come on when playing Doom 3: BFG Edition but it doesn't appear to have tearing so who knows, it could be trying to use G-Sync anyway which is what is causing the issue. Sounds crazy but when I play gzdoom it doesn't pay attention to what I have set in the Nvidia control panel so I wonder if Doom 3 is doing the same.