DIY kits are now available!

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
aMunster

Re: DIY kits are now available!

Post by aMunster » 11 Jan 2014, 18:46

After watching the video, I'm not looking forward to this mod. Break open a case with a shim, peel tape that has to be reused, and reattach ribbon cables? These are three things I dislike in mods. Well, on equipment that I paid for anyway. Perhaps it's the high cost making me sour.

On the other hand, the fact that Nvidia is offering such an audacious product is just cool. Expensive cost, esoteric solution: triple channel ram, new external power supply, fpga-based setup, hell - replacing a circuit board with a third party. Who does that? It's not like you're swapping a standards-based ATX motherboard for another.

Though, if I were to do it all over again, I'd wait until the next generation of monitors with G-Sync built in. I'm sure the cost would be lower. As such I'm waiting for pure magic to make the extra cost and hassle worth it.

Karnaj

Post by Karnaj » 11 Jan 2014, 21:28

aMunster wrote:After watching the video, I'm not looking forward to this mod. Break open a case with a shim, peel tape that has to be reused, and reattach ribbon cables? These are three things I dislike in mods. Well, on equipment that I paid for anyway. Perhaps it's the high cost making me sour.

On the other hand, the fact that Nvidia is offering such an audacious product is just cool. Expensive cost, esoteric solution: triple channel ram, new external power supply, fpga-based setup, hell - replacing a circuit board with a third party. Who does that? It's not like you're swapping a standards-based ATX motherboard for another.

Though, if I were to do it all over again, I'd wait until the next generation of monitors with G-Sync built in. I'm sure the cost would be lower. As such I'm waiting for pure magic to make the extra cost and hassle worth it.
Yeah, I definitely feel you. High price for new technology seems pretty standard, though, especially since there's no actual competition yet. It doesn't hurt Nvidia at all since the upgrade kit is aimed straight towards enthusiasts and competitive gamers who want every advantage possible. Lots of people will still buy whether it's $100 more expensive than the original, guesstimated price after both the hype and mostly positive reviews it's undergone. Those of us who can't afford it (or are bothered by the high premium) must play the waiting game, but no one knows how long this specific kit will keep being manufactured.

It's important to remember that the kit also has ULMB, which is often overlooked in tech site reviews. Better brightness, contrast, and the new 85 Hz refresh rate are very nice improvements and I think this contributes towards justifying the high cost. After having recently moved all of my components to a new case, I'm ready for all the hassles the G-Sync Upgrade Kit installation will provide. I'm just waiting for Chief's Preview of G-Sync Part 2 before buying this bad boy, though.
ASUS VG248QE | ASUS P8Z77-V | Intel i5-3570k @ 4.5 GHz | EVGA GTX 780 Classified ACX | Razer Deathadder 2013 | CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Red Switches | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM | Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced | Antec HCG-750

joncppl

Post by joncppl » 12 Jan 2014, 00:19

Just wondering, in case I manage to destroy the duct tape,
would something like this be a suitable replacement?
It looks a lot like the stuff that's inside the VG248QE, from the images i've seen

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tools-har ... tIk2fRDt8E

This is heat resistant and doesn't degrade, unlike regular duct tape.

I ordered one of the kits, that shipping cost to Canada though...

PiERiT

Post by PiERiT » 12 Jan 2014, 11:38

Did anyone's kit get shipped on Friday? If so, where is it being shipped from?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Jan 2014, 18:51

joncppl wrote:Just wondering, in case I manage to destroy the duct tape,
would something like this be a suitable replacement?
It looks a lot like the stuff that's inside the VG248QE, from the images i've seen

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tools-har ... tIk2fRDt8E
Yes, that is a suitable replacement. this will be appropriate for taping metal to metal -- and not touching any circuit board. Similiar to the circuit board cover on the rear of the monitor that was shown in the GSYNC upgrade videos. I can't say if this is NVIDIA official sanctioned, but this is a suitable tape for the purpose.

Heat resistant tape (kapton tape, aluminum foil tape) have long been used for similar purpose.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Ch0b0

Post by Ch0b0 » 13 Jan 2014, 21:49

PiERiT wrote:Did anyone's kit get shipped on Friday? If so, where is it being shipped from?
I ordered mine on Friday and I just got the shipment notice. It is shipping from Houston, TX.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 13 Jan 2014, 23:17

Ch0b0 wrote:
PiERiT wrote:Did anyone's kit get shipped on Friday? If so, where is it being shipped from?
I ordered mine on Friday and I just got the shipment notice. It is shipping from Houston, TX.
Same for me. It shipped today and according to Fedex my ETA is Thursday.

sofakng

Post by sofakng » 14 Jan 2014, 16:01

Do I need to purchase a cable for this?

I'm using a GTX 690 which I believe has a mini-DisplayPort and the ASUS monitor which has a full-size DisplayPort?

The G-Sync kit says it includes a cable but I'm not sure if it's the correct type...

shadman

Post by shadman » 14 Jan 2014, 16:13

It comes with a regular displayport cable, you'll need to get a small converter to go from mini-dp to regular size, or just buy a new cable with mini on one side.