What monitor to buy?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
roxorek

What monitor to buy?

Post by roxorek » 21 Nov 2014, 18:38

Hello,
I don't have a big knowledge about all these new technologies and don't want to overpay for anything.
I pretty much only play CS: GO (almost constant 300fps) and League of Legends.
I'm looking only for 24' monitor and would like to know which will be the best for these games?
PC specs:
i5 2500k 4.2 GHZ
GTX 670
8gb ram 1600mhz

Falkentyne

Re: What monitor to buy?

Post by Falkentyne » 21 Nov 2014, 19:26

Hmm, for those specs, grab a XL2430T or 2420Z or 2720Z and turn on blur reduction, use the VT tweaks to reduce crosstalk a bit and enjoy. You won't need a gsync monitor since your FPS will never drop below your refresh rate anyway, so you'll benefit from motion blur reduction.

Another thing you can do is, for some games (if you have trouble handling the crosstalk or ghosting with the vertical total 1500 tweaks, in benq BR mode, you can use NVidia drivers older than 310.xx, use the '3d vision emulator.zip ' and INF override, and unlock lightboost (lightboost (an older form of blur reduction with better ghosting reduction but worse colors/contrast on the 24" screens), especially with lower contrast settings, has less ghosting than Benq BR mode, so some games may benefit from that, too)mode and experiment with that also. (the 2430T apparently doesn't have 3d vision/lightboost, although I don't think anyone has actually doublechecked to see if it works on that or not).

dhaine

Post by dhaine » 22 Nov 2014, 00:40

Thanks for your help Falkentyne and Chief for this site/forum.

I have a question following author's initial question, there seems to be some added input lag when using ULMB/gsync/BBR/lightboost compared to motion blurred regular 144hz. Pro gamers (csgo/quakelive) are then usually playing without (the theory is that even with motion blur you know where to fire and it's better to have even one less frame, thus faster input lag, it sounds for sure better to see the enemy incoming 1 frame faster, and many fights in csgo can happen when holding a position so no big frame movement, no real blur impact).

So for you and Chief has any real tests were made about this to try to gauge/amount exact input lag of all these technologys ? I'm also interested in the difference in input lag with VT1500 trick @ 128hz vs "normal" BBR @ 120hz.

I've also read that the recent AOC 144hz was even lower input lag compared to benq2411 (T and Z) is that true ?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 22 Nov 2014, 01:57

You won't be able to tell a difference in input lag with our without the VT tweak at 120hz. At most it will be about 1 frame or so. You'd probably feel more of a difference going from a 500hz polling rate on a mouse to 1000hz.

Also going from 100hz vsync on to 144hz vsync on will give you lower input lag than any sort of VT tweaks ever will.
Someone did a test at 60hz in super street fighter 4 arcade edition, between blur reduction on and off (60hz) and they said that turning it on affected none of their combos or timings at all, and going from BBR off to BBR on gave from 10ms input lag to 15 ms.

Remember this is at *60hz* refresh rate and 60hz has the highest input lag. So you can clearly see that being at 100, 120 or 144hz will be a lot less.